Cloth bushcrafty patch badge thingies

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
My passaround pattern bushshirt is done and Im currently virtually living in it! id like to apply two or three bushcraft inspired cloth patch badges to it, just to break up the expanse of plain fabric...any suggestions/donations?

Paul

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Leaves are a relatively simple motif if you fancy trying your hand at embroidery, or just cut out a shape and stitch it on. Then it serves are a memory aid to identification too!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did that for the children's cloaks at one of the Moots :) It worked very well.

I have masses of scraps of good wool, and have cut many of them into blocks, etc., with the intention of making a patchworked wool blanket. I do have scraps that I haven't used though, so if you have colour choices and would like some, let me know.

That said, to be honest, I think that sometimes the simplest options are the most wearable, iimmc. Matching but contrasting bands applied to the cuff, around the gussets, pockets, etc., can add detail that seems 'right'.....think of the science teachers tweed jackets with the leather trim on cuffs and elbows kind of thing.
Soft tans look good agin green wool, much like the moleskin collars and cuff linings on green wax jackets.

The folks doing the Arctic trips go in for brightly coloured geometric braids on their outer tunics, and woolen fingerbraid or tablet braid looks very good.

If you do decide on the leaves or badges, then the hemming tape sold to turn up trousers can be a great help keeping the pieces in place until you get them stitched down :)

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a great tip with the hemming tape! One of those "why didn't I ever think of that" tips; holding stuff in place whilst stitching has often scalded my soul, so thanks for that.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Good advice there Mary, I might just try and make something. Great minds think alike, I've trimmed the edges of the hood cuffs and hem with matching drill fabric, admittedly a contrasting fabric would have been better, but used what I had.....The machine (I treated myself to a Lidl special after breaking SWMBLT's machine - I'm still in the doghouse while its being repaired!) apparently has an embroidery function, so I'll have to get the destructions out.....

The Lidl machine isn't too bad for 80quid, I doubt it will be very robust, but will do me OK.....I bought SWMBLT one too as a spare.....and I still have to foot the repair bill........hey-ho you can't take it with you!

Paul

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE