closed bothies

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
Another newbie question I'm afraid. I just assumed that The Mountain Bothies Association were responsible for all the Bothies in Scotland, are there other bothies and if so how do I find out about there whereabouts?

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Another newbie question I'm afraid. I just assumed that The Mountain Bothies Association were responsible for all the Bothies in Scotland, are there other bothies and if so how do I find out about there whereabouts?

I went hunting for some of the Scottish Youth Hostles & Bothies I remember from my youth spent around the Galloway area, namely Backhill of Bush, and Shiel of Castlemaddy, and found the MBA had handed the looking after over to the Scottish forrestry commision. The FC have since demolished at least one of them due to the local neds leaving excrement and needles etc lying about.
Don't know if you're allowed to post links to other forums on here but if you google "UKbothies" there's another forum might help you in your quest. No affiliation etc etc just found it when googling

Looks like things have changed in the Galloway are since my youth, and not for the better :(

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE