cleaning stove flue?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all need some tips on cleaning the stove flu in the boat. we had some problems with the seams on the fire which i have now fixed but could do with cleaning it all out which is something i've never done. we have a long(ish) wire bristled brush and that's it. is it as simple as taking the top off the flu and ramming the wire brush down to dislodge as much as possible? then hoover out all the crap in the stove.

any tips would be useful before i make an utter mess ;)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
You've got it.

Put plenty of old sheets on furniture and around the front of the stove as soot gets everywhere. I masking tape a big curtain around the stove with a hole for the brush to go through. Get an old Hoover or a soot collector from Aldi for clearing up.

When I do the stoves I always forget how many rods to use and end up seeing the brush come passed the window!!

Older methods include black powder or/and dropping an appropriate sized bird down the chimney.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:lmao: somebody been reading "Busman's Honeymoon" with the black powder ??? My chimney sweep basically does just what you said Dread, having covered all the furniture - that's for a the stove in the house. We try to discourage the birds although a female crow spent 10 days in there one summer and came out fine, if cross, when we could get the flue baffle off :rolleyes:

Dreadhead

right i see put the brush up the stove. i was going to seal the stove and put the brush down the flue from outside so all the soot collected down in the stove. then open the stove after its settled and hoover all the crap out. may try that first and if it doesnt work try brushing from the inside and see how that goes. better wait until SWMBO gets home or ill get murdered for dirtying the wrong sheets

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Just make sure that you continually rotate the brush (clockwise) to tighten the screwed joints - both going up and coming down.

Any attempt to unscrew the brush before it comes within reach and you'll have to find another set to get the first one out - that or burn it out!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Dreadhead

the top cap outside comes off im pretty sure so i figured i could just stand on the roof and give it a good thrashing with the brush. the rest of the flu inside is sealed. and as i resealed it all yesterday im not willing to take it all apart :D

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
the top cap outside comes off im pretty sure so i figured i could just stand on the roof and give it a good thrashing with the brush.

Yep, that's the way to do it. All the crap should end up inside the stove and as you say, wait for it to settle. Ogri makes a very good point, do not forget to keep turning clockwise!

Dreadhead

Just make sure that you continually rotate the brush (clockwise) to tighten the screwed joints - both going up and coming down.

Any attempt to unscrew the brush before it comes within reach and you'll have to find another set to get the first one out - that or burn it out!

ATB

Ogri the trog

i think you just saved me a few quid thats for the wise words ;)

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
my granddad used to tie a holly sprig and pull it through from the chimney down(only saw him do this on the workshop chimney but he used to whistle up a ladder on the house too) from what I recall (long time ago) if was very effective:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When you say "wire brush" - is it a proper flu brush of the right diameter for the flue? Just checking......

Dreadhead

yeah red the brusah was the right diameter. cleaned it all out earlier was much easier than we thought and less messy. just took the top off the flu, rammed the brush right down and shimmied it up and down for 15 mins. then opened the stove and vaccumed all the soot out job done :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its actually probably easier on a boat....shorter flues - no bends....and a lot easier to work from above :).

Good job...well worth doing at this time of year

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its not bad on a house stove if you install an access trap above the stove. The trouble comes with bends and liners. You need very flexible rods of a different type than the normal drain / chimney type for multiple / tight bends. You can damage liners doing it wrongly as well.

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
An old farmer where I grew up had an effective method for cleaning his chimney.
He would tie some twine around the legs of his wife's prize batam boosters legs and lower it headfirst down the chimney.
Apparently the rooster would take umbrage and flap like mad and clean the chimney in one pass.

However, he had to wait till his wife went to town, otherwise she would have taken umbrage at him.....

Dreadhead

Its not bad on a house stove if you install an access trap above the stove. The trouble comes with bends and liners. You need very flexible rods of a different type than the normal drain / chimney type for multiple / tight bends. You can damage liners doing it wrongly as well.

aye thats too complex for me i would end up doing something wrong iv just resealed all the gaps around the flue where it joins the top of the stove. found the gun a waste of time and edned up spreading it all in with my fingers to get a smoother finish

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE