City owls and hawks

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
When I saw this news I made me think are there any owls or hawks regularly nesting at city centres in Europe. According to the news the are around half a dozen of European Eagle Owls living at the most densily populated area in Finland, the city centre of Helsinki but there are also different species of bat, hawks and once a year we may even see a moose.

Eagle owl couple with chicks nests on rooftop of shopping mall in downtown Helsinki

1135264587344.jpeg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Several kestrels near my place, not quite the city center though, they get a very hard time from the hooded crows. We also have at least one nesting pair of peregrine falcons at the Saint Stephen Basilica which is near the parliament building, right in the middle of Budapest.

Lots of owls, possibly horned owls, but I'm not sure.

:)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Several kestrels near my place, not quite the city center though, they get a very hard time from the hooded crows. We also have at least one nesting pair of peregrine falcons at the Saint Stephen Basilica which is near the parliament building, right in the middle of Budapest.

Lots of owls, possibly horned owls, but I'm not sure.

:)

I've heard you have wolves & bears that visit the outskirts at night too....sorry,.I may have confused Budapest with Bucarest

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've heard you have wolves & bears that visit the outskirts at night too....sorry,.I may have confused Budapest with Bucarest

A travel journalist for one of the UK broadsheets made the same mistake when booking a flight once. I cannot imagine that Bucharest has bears and wolves visiting the city outskirts, but I may be wrong. However for some of the towns and cities near the Fogaras or Carpathian mountains that can happen.

In Budapest we do have wild Boar visiting the city, driven here by flooding or lack of food.

Here is a picture of an Eagle Owl on a Budapest chimney pot...

http://www.alternativenergia.hu/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/uhu-bagoly.jpg

Apparantly they enjoy the heat transmited through the stonework and will put up with attacks by crows and magpies while they wait for something tasty to happen by. :)

Last edited:

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Norwich Cathedral peregrine falcons lay first egg on Easter Sunday. Great news the nesting platform was only put up 9 weeks ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE