Chris Caine Survival Folder - anyone got any experience of it?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The clue's in the title really. I was wondering if anyone had tried the CC Survival Folder and, if they had, what do they think about it?

Many thanks for any feedback!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for the links. I think I will save my pennies rather than take the plunge. The folk on British Blades took a long time doing down the knife before they had actually had a chance to use it in hand. That, and a lot of the biographical chunter about Chris Caine himself seemed to be pointless at best. Still, it came good once the real folder was on the scene.

Apart from the Svord, which, to my mind and from my experience, seems cheap but a bit ropey, are there any worthwhile friction folders out there?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Many thanks for the links. I think I will save my pennies rather than take the plunge. The folk on British Blades took a long time doing down the knife before they had actually had a chance to use it in hand. That, and a lot of the biographical chunter about Chris Caine himself seemed to be pointless at best. Still, it came good once the real folder was on the scene.

Apart from the Svord, which, to my mind and from my experience, seems cheap but a bit ropey, are there any worthwhile friction folders out there?

What do you mean by ropey? Not good? :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't mind the blade shape, though it is a bit deep for my preferences and I really dislike the knobbly thing that sticks into the palm of my hand when using it. I have found it difficult to get a decent, working edge on the blade and I felt that it would never really be something I would choose to have in my pocket or on my belt.

I am sure that I'll be hounded by the Svord Peasant fan club for my heresy and that they will burn my effigy while chanting curses around a fire. Yes, it is inexpensive, a major selling point; yes, it is a wonderfully simple design but I would prefer something a little more, well, refined. Do they make a Svord Yeoman? It could be a step up...

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don't mind the blade shape, though it is a bit deep for my preferences and I really dislike the knobbly thing that sticks into the palm of my hand when using it. I have found it difficult to get a decent, working edge on the blade and I felt that it would never really be something I would choose to have in my pocket or on my belt.

I am sure that I'll be hounded by the Svord Peasant fan club for my heresy and that they will burn my effigy while chanting curses around a fire. Yes, it is inexpensive, a major selling point; yes, it is a wonderfully simple design but I would prefer something a little more, well, refined. Do they make a Svord Yeoman? It could be a step up...

I'm certainly not one who wants to burn you - just curious. :D

I agree about the knobble too. ;) On the one I'm (still part way through) modding, it went! Search on my blog for friction folder and you'll see the things I don't like about them.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

I've tried to like friction folders but I just dont like the limited grips having to hold onto the tang for security it needs - give me a decent slipjoint any time, I have however atleast tried them here are some of the makers i would recommend if you realy want one

michelmorris makes a decent one as does smallholder1 (although I havn't seen any new ones off him in a while so you'd have to look for a second hand one) and there's alot of prase for the k'roo models (I owned both and was invloved in designing the one that looks like a friction folder sodbuster) Dave Budd also makes a deced FF, not owned one by him but have handled one in the past

This one by TLIM was probably the one I was clostest to keeping. Mariusz is a great person to deal with (as have all those I have listed) He's even planning a friction folding bushcraft knife that looks promising - if he ever made it as a lockback i'd be bagging one

but I'm not going back to FF's again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE