Cherry Plums

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
On our way back to the car following a seriously good day in the woods, we passed by an old Cherry Plum tree, so not wanting to waste the opportuinty to gather a rather delicious seasonal treat we stopped for ten minutes or so, grabbed the waterproof cover out of eldests pack and promptly filled it with fresh, juicy, delicious Cherry Plums, this is less than half of what we collected and these will just get munched rather than saved for later.

DSCF3683.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I love cherry plums, and there are lots near me. Must go and get some soon.

As there is a lot of wind currently, I feel a visit to the local wildlife trust orchard coming on. I'm not allowed to pick the apples, but windfalls are a whole other game. Lots of strange varieties too. :)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I did the same last week around Steyning along with plenty of blackberries.
Yesterday for me was scrumping figs that hang over peoples garden fences at a few places I know.
Now they were scrumptious.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
delish! i've been picking loads recently along with actual wild plumbs too. seeing the apples growing in and the odd blackberry left on the bushes :D

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I did the same last week around Steyning along with plenty of blackberries.
Yesterday for me was scrumping figs that hang over peoples garden fences at a few places I know.
Now they were scrumptious.

Funny you should mention Steyning............................

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Been out over the last few days and my haul included Cherry plums, Greengages, Bullace, Goldengages and a unknown plum in between a Bullace and Sloe in size that is neither sweet or sour like either a plum or sloe. It has a bloom on the fruit surface and I have no idea what it is?

Steve

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
good haul Steve, i dont have to go far for Greengages, just the back garden, bumper crop this year, could the other plum you found be a Damson?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Really not sure, I at first thought they were just big Sloe's.

They are smaller than cherry plums and more oval than round? Here is a pic with the golden gages-cherry plums and the mystery fruit on the left. The things I call Bullace are the same size as the golden gages but these are now made into jam. Prehaps I'm getting my Bullace and damsons mixed up?

001-4.jpg

Steve

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Damsons. If the stone inside is a rather flat wee oval with pointy ends, then that's it right enough.
Really need cooked.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE