Cheap stones?

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
DC4 broke, can't fix it, and I want a stone that I can sharpen my knife and axe, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks...

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
another dc4? i use a basic diamond block if my knife is a bit battered and just hone it with a dc4 and leather. seems to work for most things for me. axes etc

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
ive only ever had this recent one. i must admit i was a bit underwelmed, but i just put it down to me being a mediocre sharpener. one day ill have the spare money for a se of whetstones.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I have a 400grit "diamond stone" although it's not diamond, it's no-where near the grit you need, the course side of the DC4/3 is 800, which has micro serrations, which is pretty sharp, and the ceramic side is 2000-3000.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
i have a 4 sided diamond stone from b&q from 400-1200 grit. so i use the 1200 to sort it out and then finish with the dc4 some leather and me car window lol. works for me. not polished by any means. but it holds its edge and cuts aswell as i can make a knife cut. :)

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
i have a 4 sided diamond stone from b&q from 400-1200 grit. so i use the 1200 to sort it out and then finish with the dc4 some leather and me car window lol. works for me. not polished by any means. but it holds its edge and cuts aswell as i can make a knife cut. :)

Well I'm still using my DC4, but now if a different way, just watched this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE1W7XwYGKk&feature=related

He sharpened his parrang with quartz...Not sure if this would work without any sharpening before or after, could you use this before you do anything else? I mean sharpen only using this...

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
If you go to those cheap shops with tools you can often find aluminium oxide stones with 2 sides for less than £3. Ali oxide stones work great on knives before you move on to a strop to finish it. Can't get cheaper than that!

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
If you go to those cheap shops with tools you can often find aluminium oxide stones with 2 sides for less than £3. Ali oxide stones work great on knives before you move on to a strop to finish it. Can't get cheaper than that!

I have one if those cheap stones, but is 400~ really enough before moving to the strop? As a strop I use a belt with ceramic paste, and then newspaper...and then glass, to steel the edge, although I have a chef's steeling rod, I don't really know if it helps...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE