Charcloth :)

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Thanks to Tadpole's excellent tutorial i made my own charcloth. Used a lidded tin can and cotton dishcloths.

My mrs had a tin can that had a jamie oliver mug in it, also jamies picture on the can.
He just had to be burnt! :D

zDSCF0814.jpg

You can just see the smoke starting to wisp out.

zDSCF0819.jpg

zDSCF0879.jpg

zDSCF0874.jpg

zDSCF0887.jpg

zDSCF0921.jpg

I let it all cool down, opened up the tin and as you can see in the last pic, it worked!
Theres a bit in the center that did'nt quite burn, but the rest of its fine. I tried a bit of the cloth with a spark from a swedish firesteel and it took straight away. Well impressed!

Cheers Tadpole ;)

Great job. There is something satisfying about making char cloth and seeing that it works well. You can avoid the bit in the centre not charring by making your char cloth in smaller batches. I cut mine into strips about 2 inches wide by about 2 foot long and roll these up, then place about 7 or 8 rolls in my tin. It's very unusial to get any un-charred bits that way.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
nice little tutorial mate - it's a shame Jamie got singed though! :D

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have found that you don't seem to need the stick in the hole at the top when cooling down - not enough air gets in to support burning.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I cant wait to get hold of the fire steel now to try it all out. Funny how you get motivated over such things!!! :)

One other thing i was thinking about is how you process the birch polypore that you also use to get the flame? Im guessing its slivers that have been dried out?

Is it really that flammable?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE