Changing the colour of a camo jacket?? and other alterations!

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
OK, so I've never really dyed any items of clothing before. But I have a Czech style camo parka which is lined with acrylic pile. I basically want to alter the camo; so that it is a more muted green-overall green but with with the other colours still visible. Awkward I know!

Thing is the lining is NOT removable and neither is the collar which has more acrylic fur lining. Any ideas on a treatment I could use? Is there anything that can be applied with a sponge to just the outer? what colour dye would you suggest for a Sage green colour?

Finally does anyone know of a reputable online fabrics supplier? (I'm after green waxed cotton to make a shoulder yoke to keep the rain off etc) seems to be hundreds! I'm thinking about getting a waist draw-cord added to keep the chills out-maybe using para cord?

Sorry for the multiple questions but it would be immensely appreciated if anyone had any info on any of these aspects! :D

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
I recently dyed a pair of nylon hiking trousers. Different fabrics need different types of dye. If the garment is a mix eg: Poly/cotton, you will need two dyes, one for the poly and one for the cotton. I got the dye fromhttp://www.thedyeshop.co.uk/acatalog/index.html here. Good product, arrived quickly and results were pretty good.
Hope that helps.
Headsup: It's quite a messy process :)
Good Luck!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can think of two approaches towards muting the colors:

1. Dye ir green as that's the collor you want to predominate; but use understrength dye so that the other colors bleed through.
2. Take the opposite direction and simply bleach it in the wash to mute the colors

As to how you can protect the bits that you cain't remove, well I really have no idea.

Last edited:

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Is the shell of your jacket cotton? If it isn't it won't take dye very well at all.

Yes its a cotton outer, I'm guessing maybe 5% synthetic too- which will not take on the dye so easily.

Also muting the colours may work well (as suggested) would a hot wash work for this? If I use bleach won't it just turn it yellow/white?

My main aim is to get it a very mild camo (if that makes sense) in that it is predominantly a sage green with some very slight browns etc in it- I guess you could call it "dirty green"

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes its a cotton outer, I'm guessing maybe 5% synthetic too- which will not take on the dye so easily.

Also muting the colours may work well (as suggested) would a hot wash work for this? If I use bleach won't it just turn it yellow/white?

My main aim is to get it a very mild camo (if that makes sense) in that it is predominantly a sage green with some very slight browns etc in it- I guess you could call it "dirty green"

Using bleach will fade it out. Yes just a hot wash will do this but not as quickly (might take several washes) And I wouldn't advise using hot water in any case as it will shrink the cotton. Bleach won't "yellow" the jacket but I would be sparing with it (add a bit of bleach to the wash; do NOT apply bleach directly) Better to need to repeat the process than to over do it.

Last edited:

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Have a look in a crafts shop that caters to women's crafts. You can find colours for clothing that one stamps, or brushes on. You can make stamps from sponges, then over colour the jacket with new colours.
Woody

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE