www.mikemountain.co.uk
Head sized
egu4uha5.jpg

Verdict?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think it's a burl mate. I've found quite a few chaga specimens and harvested some too quality tinder from them too, it's the outside that looks like a burl :).

I post a picture in a minute of a specimen I found :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Here it is:

imagejpg1_zpsebf7662a.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9036da2c.jpg

imagejpg3_zps7271d5eb.jpg

I generally leave them if there small or young, this was big and the tree it was on was very nearly dead, if I had left it the fungus would have just died so I harvested it. They're quite a few to be found if you look hard, but it's best to only take what you need as it's rare :).

Hope this helps!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I just got back from Sweden and found a decent lump at the last camp, it caught straight from the tree with no drying needed from a very small spark from a Bushkey (by FGYT) and a picec of quarts from the lake. Good stuff !

Haggis

Nomad
I was out canoe camping this summer with Herself, and the morning we were to leave I found a nice large chaga 2 feet off the ground, and not 100' from camp. It was the last place I would have looked, as usually I find them higher on the tree,,,

The chaga is on the lower left, just in front of the large pack,,,

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Can someone explain what 'Chaga' is??? I've not heard of it and what the difference is a burl? Ta

Sent from somewhere?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It is a parasitic fungus that kills birch trees. It has a corky like texture and is great for firelighting or making a medicinal tea. Quite rare in the UK. It's a great thing to find and use but you have to have sharp eyes to spot them :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It's where a tree heals over a wound like where a branch has been snapped off. It's got that twisted grain that looks good in inife handles :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE