carving tools

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
For carving tools a normal bushcraf knife will be fine, as long as it's strong and razor sharp. or a special carving knife like one from mora. Also a crooked knife can be useful. You can use all kinds of wood for carving but for beginners I reccomend soft woods like birch and willow. Good luck, it's great fun to try:)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
As above really. Mora is a good bet for a nice little carver and for anything to be carved bowl like (spoons, ladles, kuksa) a spoon knife is way easier.
Birch and Alder I found good to carve. Hack out a rough shape of what you want then small cuts. Keep the knife sharp with a good strop every now and then to keep it easy going.
Have fun :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Same advice re knives as below - but even a good folder works well :)
As to woods I like Lime and dislike Pine, Ash is pretty good and Oak while green carves well once it is seasoned it is realy hard work - the same goes for Holly.
Strangely enough Ivy - if you find a good thick bit is wonderful to carve when green but dries like iron and "wrinkles" as it dries with interesting effects :)

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Whatever you do, don't buy those cheap sets with handle and interchangeable blades....
The blades are fairly sharp, but they break (blades AND handles) for a pastime..... :(

Don't ask me how I know this....... :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE