Carving Ivy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just aquired a large amount of Ivy from a fallen tree, some as thich as my forearm, and was wondering if anyone has info about any items traditional carved from this easy to carve wood.
I have previously carved buter knives, hearth boards and letter openers out of ivy and am aware of flower aranging matrices andhay rakes being cut from ivy as well. The sapwood is pretty useless but the bonelike inner wood is good to carve but porous and not too abrasion resistant.
Sooo any ideas of what would be made from Ivy?
Or - does it burn OK?:rolleyes:

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Hi John,
don't know about specifically what to carve but I understand Ivy is even better than Boxwood for chasing a thread onto so by the same token it should take fine detail very well
Cheers John

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
You must have a healthy variety of ivy rosco and John :D , the stuff that latche's onto my hedge is pathettic, spindly, weak as polystyrene only an inch or 2 at the most. I just burn it off, cant stand the stuff :lmao: It keeps trying to get at a nice straight ash in my hedgrow, I keep retaliating, mercilessley :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The ivy was so thick and luxuriant that it was the wet weight and wind resistance of the ivy that took the tree down!
But I got as much ivy as I can carry and about a third of the tree as firewood/carving wood:) .....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE