Carrrying water in a response pack - Pic Heavy!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
There are a few of us with response packs on here, and one of the common gripes seems to be the lack of a water bottle carrying feature.

You could put a bottle inside the main compartment, but that uses up all the space...

A webbing bottle pouch threaded on the belt? - makes the weight lopsided...

Bottle pouch each side? ..now we're getting a bit heavy for a unpadded belt :rolleyes:

I had an idea about this... even bought the materials (500 denier cordura)... but never found the time to complete the project.

Cue my helpfull assistant.. :D

Whilst discussing a recent trade with Tengu, we formed a little partnership, where i took my rough idea and generated a (very)
rough sketch..and Tengu turned it into reality, With a bit of additional flair :You_Rock_

So, to the project. For water carrying i tend to use one of three things - 1 litre Nato bottles strong and heavy, but a bit bulky
2 litre Platypuses (Platipi ??) - way too big for the response pack
or 1litre Sigg bottles - it was this that formed the basis of the plan, the idea being to sling the bottle
horizontally under the pack - in a poncho roll stylee - contained in a cordura bag with a drawstring
neck to retain the bottle, and webbing loops to suspend it from the pack.

some pictures:

The bottle in it's pouch, attached to the pack:
readytogo.jpg

Detail of the drawcord holding the bottle in:
closure.jpg

The bottle partially slid out of the bag:
bottleout.jpg

The attachments at the front, showing how the straps of the response pack are threaded through the webbing loops on the bottle bag:
frontattachments.jpg

I had intended to use a similar fixing method at the rear, so the bag hangs from a 4 point mounting.
I'd accepted the fact that I would have to remove the buckles from the webbing straps to pull them out
of the loops on the bottom of the response pack before threading through the first pair of loops on the bottle bag.

Here's where a little Tengu magic comes in :D

Notice the long strap with the quick release clip? - unclip it, thread it through the response pack straps
and clip it together, no need to remove the buckles from the response packs straps - brilliant!
rearattachment.jpg

This neat arrangement also has a second benefit - The bottle bag can be used solo, attached to a belt
solo.jpg

which leaves one final question........

Does my bum look big in this ? :eek:
buttview.jpg

Hope this has been of some help, and I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU! to Tengu for making this happen.
And if anyone want's one made up... DON'T CALL ME!! ( but I'm sure Tengu might be willing to discuss terms ;) )

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have some green cloth, I may make a few of these when I have the time

(busy doing the xmas brantub project)

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Looks really nice - modular is good! :)
If you don't mind me asking, what's the kit for (what response), and what do you carry in it?

If it's a kind of emergency grab-bag, I'm not sure if it's any use, but after another discussion on here recently about water I contacted BW technologies to ask a few questions about their products. Very friendly and helpful company... one of the links they sent me was http://www.bwtechnologies.com/article26.html the H2O-TO-GO bag which is what our Typhoon pilots can now expect to have if they eject. Seems to be a streamlined version of their aquasak and an ideal compact water purifier / container for a grab-bag or survival kit.

Apologies for diverting this thread if it is irrelevant, but it might be useful and from what I've seen and heard their products seem impressive. Cheers Martyn for the heads up about them by the way

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
that's excellent, it looks like it came with the pack, you couldn't tell it was added later, well done. Only one problem though, i think it would like a friend, deffinetly too good not to make another, and i would be willing to take care of it.......hint, hint ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
that's excellent, it looks like it came with the pack, you couldn't tell it was added later, well done. Only one problem though, i think it would like a friend, deffinetly too good not to make another, and i would be willing to take care of it.......hint, hint ;)
It's no good asking me - I didn't even make this one!! :p
I'm sure if you ask Tengu nicely, you might get what you want ;)

Sigg do do Pouches But they are £8 ish and dont really have the right straps If at all

http://www.sigg-aluminium.co.uk/sigg-pouches-17-c.asp

Have you seen the Sigg oval 0.6 ltr with Cup

http://www.sigg-aluminium.co.uk/oval-sigg-28-c.asp

806770_-_black_with_cup[ekm]161x300[ekm].jpg

shame they dont do a 1ltr

The trouble with most water bottles that will fit inside the pack is that it means less room inside the pack for other stuff, hence the external pouch :)

Don't tempt me with that sigg bottle! I keep trying to resist, but I reckon it would be great for stowing my Stags breath in and it comes with a cup to drink it from! So civilised!

your quite right it would make a good hip flask might get one for my Sloe Gin etc

guess you either need a very wide mouth or a very narrow one :lmao: depending on which way you drink from it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE