Carbon Knife surface damaged by Polypore

Mar 19, 2011
South West UK
Hey guys!

Great to be on here!

I have recently got a new carbon steel knife from Ray Mears site and it was nice and polished before I cut up some Birch Polypore.

I had soaked the Polypore cut it into a chunk and am now flattening it...to test as a strop!

I was just wondering If anyone had any ideas at why the knifes surface is now affected ( its discoloured, tarnished and purple/ brown like its been subjected to alot of heat)

Thanks guys!

Martyn:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's probably as a result of the moisture in the fungi, some of it will come off but it will leave a permanent stain or patina as it's known. I don't mind it, I think it adds a bit of character to a blade.

Mar 19, 2011
South West UK
Cheers Rich!

I hear Patina is good for a blade in that it can prevent rust...I know its a working tool so will leave it on i think, rather than try and get it out by polishing!

Cheers mate!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I deliberately patinate all my carbon blades using vinegar (wrap blade in loo roll soaked in vinegar - leave overnight - blackened blade with [hopefully] some patterning and colour variation).
I do not like shiney carbon blades -IMHO they make too much work keeping them shiney, patination helps prevent rusting, patination makes the blade look more "characterful" and shiney blades look either like cheap stainless or draw queens :)

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
My preferred method of patination (love that word) is to stand the blade upright in Dr Pepper for about 2-3 hours. Make sure the blade is well degreased first. I use Orange degreaser.
After taking it out of the Dr Pepper give it a good wash with soapy water and then a light coat of oil.
I've done all my CV blade pocket knives this way and they all look lovely.

Cheers.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My preferred method of patination (love that word) is to stand the blade upright in Dr Pepper for about 2-3 hours. Make sure the blade is well degreased first. I use Orange degreaser.
After taking it out of the Dr Pepper give it a good wash with soapy water and then a light coat of oil.

Cheers.
Ye gods!
- Some folk ingest that stuff! :)
It must be the Phosphoric (sp?) Acid in it (like Coke) that does the work... lemon juice and rubbing the steel with onoin juice works well too....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Cheers.

Got any pics of your blades, this sounds really interesting

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
54151365.jpg

Top to bottom
Camillus Stockman
WR Case Peanut Chestnut Bone
WR Case Peanut Yellow Delrin (the one I NEVER leave the house without)

The blades have to be clean or it doesn't work properly. If you don't fancy that, stick the blade in an apple for a while.

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE