Carbon felt , silicone tubing and micro nipples for alcohol stovies.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I am trying to find out how much it would be to get the items in the title shipped from the USA with an idea of doing some sort of group buy if anyone is interested?

The prices for nipples and silicone tubing is on the McMaster Carr . com website and the carbon felt from a company called Scott Gross.

I have sent each an email requesting shipping information so will have to wait on that.

Worth doing?

Steve.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Have you spoken to Tinny at MiniBullDesigns (US)? He uses and supplies all those bits, and he posts his stoves all over the world. He may be able to help?

Ed

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Ed, yes I have bought from Tinny a number of times but the prices are quite steep.

Red, the silicone tube is just high temperature 1/16th ID, 1/8th OD, 1/32nd WALL soft.

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Well scrub that idea. Received an email from McMaster Carr and they will not ship international unless your an established customer:( Probably gonna be the same for the other crew on the felt. Something about the complex US export regulations?

Steve.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats quite specific. I should think 1.5mm ID 3.0mm OD would be near as makes no odds - plenty of that about - but you will know better!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thats quite specific. I should think 1.5mm ID 3.0mm OD would be near as makes no odds - plenty of that about - but you will know better!

Maybe the silicone tube is available but I struggle to find the micro nipples to fit for some reason? I spent hours on google once looking for them in the UK and failed.

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I thought I'd take a punt on these carbon felt extractor fan filters to see if they'd work in my DIY stoves. I chopped a little corner off for a test, doused it in meths and lit. It looked okay while it was burning, a nice glow around the edge with a good flame and no smoke. Once the meths had burnt off it still looked okay until I gave it a prod and it just turned into dust :(

The search goes on :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You can get hi temp silcone tubing at Radio Control Model Shops as it's used for fuel line on model aircraft engines.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks Paul, have shot them an e-mail.

I have found a place on Amazon .com that sells a 6 by 6 foot sheet of carbon felt welding blanket. Costs would be near £100 depending on whether I got clobbered with import charges so would work out at £2.77 a square foot.

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
You can get hi temp silcone tubing at Radio Control Model Shops as it's used for fuel line on model aircraft engines.

Have you ever found the brass nipples/ fuel line connections that go with the tube? I have found silicone tube and fittings on ebay but they were 4 times the size of the ones I have used from the US and outrageously expensive for what they are.

Steve.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have you ever found the brass nipples/ fuel line connections that go with the tube? I have found silicone tube and fittings on ebay but they were 4 times the size of the ones I have used from the US and outrageously expensive for what they are.

Steve.

yup, the model shops used to sell the nipples so you could screw them into plastic bottles to make your own custom fuel tanks, you could also get a fuel filter that had a nipple on each side, ie one side with a male thread the other with a female.

It's been a few years since i used fly RC models (i used to flying my P-51), so things may have changed a bit

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
yup, the model shops used to sell the nipples so you could screw them into plastic bottles to make your own custom fuel tanks, you could also get a fuel filter that had a nipple on each side, ie one side with a male thread the other with a female.

It's been a few years since i used fly RC models (i used to flying my P-51), so things may have changed a bit

Just been on several UK radio control shops and unless I am using the wrong terms it does not instil much confidence when searches for 'silicone tube', 'fuel line', 'fuel line connectors' , 'fuel adaptors' etc come up with zero results on every site:(

Steve:aargh4:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE