Captain Scott inventory

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Fascinating, I remember that for some sledging expeditions Christmas pudding could be substituted for some of the pemmican.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Yes, very good reading - the first paragraph about the roarer-v-silent burners on the Primus stoves quite topical for me as I've been using them recently.

Notable how well measured out even the priming fuel was done and with a spring loaded cap in the bottle (what a collectors item eh?!) to minimise wastage.

Get such a simple thing wrong in that environment and you won't live to regret it! :(

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can you imagine the planning needed for this trip? Several years of isolation, you need to take every little thing you need? No computers and spreadsheets ? Hats off to these explorers.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Can you imagine the planning needed for this trip? Several years of isolation, you need to take every little thing you need? No computers and spreadsheets ? Hats off to these explorers.

No, not really, its pretty amazing.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Rik dont forget the a lot of the chaps that did these expeds had a RN background so were used to working of self supplied ships for long trips .

Having seen the Fram in Oslo they lived like kings until they hit the ice.

Twodogs

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wonder if this has occured to any members on here? Or if Scott and his team had thee experiences?

There is a phenomenon well-known among mountain climbers, polar explorers, isolated sailors, and endurance athletes calledthe sensed-presence effect—the sense that someone or something else is with us. Conditions associated with a sensed presenceinclude: monotony, darkness, barren landscapes, isolation, cold, injury, dehydration, hunger, fatigue, fear,
and sleep deprivation.

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I wonder if this has occured to any members on here? Or if Scott and his team had thee experiences?

yes, on a single handed Atlantic crossing, Las Palmas to Martinique (30 days) So much so that when I heard someone speaking to me I went below to answer the VHF. The VHF has a "line of sight" range of about 25 miles (depending on atmospherics etc ) At that time I was about 1800 miles out and the radio had been switched off for 17 days...

pLGWeb8l.jpg

Land Ho..:D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wow. That super Impressive Wicca! Thanks and Congratulations.
[Another Member once told me that there are a lot of people on here whom have done really impressive journeys that none of us ever get to hear about.]

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
" journeys that none of us ever get to hear about."

Ha! t'would be a strange forum with Bush Crafting and Voyaging together, although some aspects touch each other in both pursuits, perhaps? Self reliance, practical ability, even survival sometimes.

Here's some photos to warm you up on a cold January day, Dave.

Running Westward in the Trade Wind.

HrXWz86.jpg

Big seas astern on an overcast day.

73YDTYYm.jpg

Towards the sunset.

zXsHqSA.jpg

Dolphin leading the way..;)

RnfS5Bkm.jpg

And another voyage Eastward this time..anchored in the Greek Islands ( Cyclades somewhere)

Lka5cw2m.jpg

Always singlehanded voyages......except for the occasional voices..

Ok that's enough...now where's me ferro rod?...
lol-030.gif

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Sort of. The only deviation is that none of the conditions listed here applied. I was 14 years old when my Grandfather died. One afternoon a year or close after, I was sitting in the den when I heard him snoring from his recliner.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats interesting that you remember one event SO PROLIFIC AND UNIQUE from such a long time ago, proving the rarety of it, and the memorable effect. Ive had one of these experiences too, in 1996, really unexplainable, but it definitely happened, and was very REAL.

But science has a a whole load of stuff telling you why it didnt really happen........Its still interesting that when it happens to a top scientist, [they give an example of this in the pdf below, a doctor from harvard, eban alexander, he still refutes the scientific establishment, and claims it was real!]

http://www.skeptic.com/downloads/why-people-see-ghosts.pdf

[Im jacking your thread a bit here mate, :sad6:]

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Remembering something when you were 14, easy.Puzzles me when people cannot remember stuff from their early years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE