canoe rescue-rope for hammock?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, i have some spare 8mm floating rescue rope for caneoing (the standard 8mm yellow floating rope) and was wondering if it would be suitable for hanging a hammock, i have been unable to find the breaking strain of the 8mm and wether it is likely to stretch at all, it is polypropylene i believe, it's nice and light too if suitable, i was thinking of attaching by threading through crab on hammock and tying either a blake's hitch or adjustable cawley hitch for quick and easy adjustment of hammock's position without having to untie/re-tie knots (just slide it like a guyline), i will give it a go to see if knots hold without slipping (i'm only 10 stone) but was wondering if anyone knows the suitabilty of the canoe rope regarding strength/stretching. Thanks.

I used a length of this recently when I lent a couple of hammock set ups to a friend and realised i had no spare slings for my spae hammock so I used 8mm orange floating ropes. I never cut it but used a few figure of eights and some larks knots and it worked a treat and I'm 19 stone! ;)

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I reckon you'll be fine, I've seen similar hold a swamped boat plus kit in moving water with no noticeable stretch or failure!

So I reckon with a static (ish) load should be fine!

Drew

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks folks, though i've not weighed it the 8mm rescue-rope feels much lighter than the original webbing supplied, i'm experimenting with the knots hammock end, theory is to provide a quick and instantly adjustable rope without re-tying (similar to a guyline or rucksack buckle), practice may prove knots creep, will try it out. Thanks replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE