Can it be polarded?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One for Jack/Jamie I guess.

Can you polard (or coppice really) Silver Birch.

I ask as we've got very large one next to the house - really its getting too big but I don't want to kill it. It a very nice tree and it helps reduce the damp. So I was wondering if it would be possible to polard it.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
EdS said:
One for Jack/Jamie I guess.

Can you polard (or coppice really) Silver Birch.

I ask as we've got very large one next to the house - really its getting too big but I don't want to kill it. It a very nice tree and it helps reduce the damp. So I was wondering if it would be possible to polard it.

Hi Eds.

Absolutely mate. Just so you can remember, you can Pollard or coppice any broadleaf tree. :biggthump

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jack,

Is there any special method to pollarding - I was thinking of trimming it to about head height.

I guess the cut wants to be sloped so it sheds water, but is there anything I could/should use to protect the cut while it heals?

Cheers

T

Tekeeler

As Jack says you can pollard any deciduous tree, and indeed a few conifers. Look for a natural ring of branches around the height you want and cut it off. It will look silly for a while but it will grow back fairly shortly. To ensure the best regen either do it now of just after the leaf comes off in autumn.

Happy pruning!! :biggthump :biggthump

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Eds.

Meant to ask, are you creating a new Pollard or are you repollarding? It will make the difference of were you make your cuts. :biggthump

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
redflex said:
How do you use the sap once tap?
:?:
Do you have to treat it or anything?

There are various things you can do with birch sap (or maple sap or several other tree saps):

1) Just drink it - its a watery slightly sweet fluid that contains a lot of minerals and sugars that are good for you.

2) Ferment it - a gallon of birch sap can be easily made into wine: just take the birch sap, and boil it up with 2.5lbs of sugar, some orange and lemon peel, some raisins, add some yeast and continue as usual for wine-making. You may need to measure the specific gravity of the sap and add sugar appropriately - some saps are sweeter/less seet than others. This is my general choice for birch sap.

3) Make birch syrup - similar to maple syrup but with a less strong flavour - note that maple syrup is obtained from sap 40:1, birch syrup 100-150:1, so there needs to be a lot of gentle boiling done to concentrate it enough to make a sweet syrup.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
EdS said:
Jack,

It'll be a new pollard - we want to reduce the tree in height but don't want to take it down completely.

Ok mate, in that case hit it off at any height you want and don't worry to much about the angle.

Cheers

Jack.

Feb 17, 2005
london
tedious technical note.....the forestry commission, bless them, have done extensive research on coppicing (though they never commercially do it!) and their guys have found that it matters not what angle you do your cuts at. What will effect how well it coppices is how old the tree is and at what time of year you cut, also better for birds and insects if you cut out of the growing season. Lovely wood for wood work!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE