Can I use wood dye on veg tanned leather?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Could one of you leatherworking gurus tell me if wood dye can be used to colour vegged tanned leather?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I've used it on leather with good results; I give it a coat of beeswax when it's dry.

Ah, that's good to know, and will save me a few bob too. Did you thin it, or use it neat? Also, the beeswax process, does that involve dipping it into melted wax, or just rubbing it on?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ah, that's good to know, and will save me a few bob too. Did you thin it, or use it neat? Also, the beeswax process, does that involve dipping it into melted wax, or just rubbing it on?

I used spirit based Liberon wood dye neat for some stuff, then thinned it for a colour change. It changes the depth of the colour and the shade, rather than the colour, IIMMC. I make up a dressing for the leather stuff by
mixing 80% beeswax with 20% Pure Turpentine, gently and safely warmed up and mixed together; if you leave it somewhere warm for an hour or so before use it goes on just like a polish, which I suppose is what it is :)

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I used spirit based Liberon wood dye neat for some stuff, then thinned it for a colour change. It changes the depth of the colour and the shade, rather than the colour, IIMMC. I make up a dressing for the leather stuff by
mixing 80% beeswax with 20% Pure Turpentine, gently and safely warmed up and mixed together; if you leave it somewhere warm for an hour or so before use it goes on just like a polish, which I suppose is what it is :)

Thanks very much for the info macaroon, I'll be giving that a shot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE