Can I use splits for making leather water bottles?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Embarking on making a leather water bottle. Bought all the bits. I have some 4.5mm veg tan but thought that may be a bit excessive, will 3mm split veg tan do the job? Can't see why it wouldn't, but thought I'd ask the experts.

Also, you may wish to know I'm using hdpe pellets instead of pearl barley to do the shaping. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Mike.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I made one in 3mm and it worked fine.

I found using the small end of a wooden spoon great for ramming the barley into the corners, you can fit a lot more in than you first think.
Good luck with it, I hope it turns out well for you.

Atb

Craig

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My concern was more because the split doesn't have the skin "surface" on. It may be less able to hold water but I'm guessing its the beeswax that does that job anyway...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think you'll probably get away with it but in effect, your using suede, so it's going to look a bit rough at best, once you've dip waxed it.

I suppose you could have a go at burnishing the surface while its still wet, to smooth it before you dry it out for waxing?

If nothing else, it'll be a good test run.

Good luck and good idea using the pellets by the way.

cheers

Steve

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think you'll probably get away with it but in effect, your using suede, so it's going to look a bit rough at best, once you've dip waxed it.

I suppose you could have a go at burnishing the surface while its still wet, to smooth it before you dry it out for waxing?

If nothing else, it'll be a good test run.

Good luck and good idea using the pellets by the way.

cheers

Steve

Well there's the other issue. Haven't got enough beeswax pellets to dip so using the "oven and hairdryer method". Thought it better to try it out on split leather first just in case I get the temperature wrong.

I figured the beeswax will give it a polished finish anyway if I go at it with the back of a teaspoon?

Cheers

Mike

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd try burnishing it with the teaspoon while its still damp and full of pellets, then dry it out and go for the wax.

I tried the hairdryer method, it works but no where near as well as the good old dip!

It'll take a good bit longer but what the heck?

Go for it!

Steve

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Or you could just sew the leather over a modern backpack bladder and have product you can clean easier and never worry about leaking.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I sew leather over thermos bags the local coffee shop uses when they sell "box of coffee". A metal plastic combo that holds about 3 liters.

I shape it to look like a bladder and the reenactment people love them. The bladder by itself is an awesome piece of light weight kit for free.
1260818857_18695.jpg

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I sew leather over thermos bags the local coffee shop uses when they sell "box of coffee". A metal plastic combo that holds about 3 liters.

I shape it to look like a bladder and the reenactment people love them. The bladder by itself is an awesome piece of light weight kit for free.
1260818857_18695.jpg

Would like to see a picture if you have one?

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Sold the last one off at a medieval society event but I have one more bladder down stairs. I will see if I have enough blacksmith sides to do one up. If I do I will fix one up for you, snap some pics, and put it in my for sale box for the next event.

You can also cover the cap with leather and add a lanyard.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
This is what one looks like all sewn up and filled up. I use a saddle stitch because I like it but there are other options if you want to hide stitching. I will do up the cap and lanyard tonight. The real ones just stitch up a few leg and butt holes and are done with it. My fake ones just try to copy the general shape a bit; enough to make it presentable for reenactor people.

IMG_1034_zps7dbc9dba.jpg

I put loops in all four corners so it can be hanged on a tree or pretty much anything...
IMG_1036_zps8669ac3b.jpg

This is what the traditional goatskin water bags look like...
MR0215.jpg

I am not interested in giving any of my customers any sickness or disease so I make it look presentable and use the modern liner. In daily use scenarios the old way obviously worked well enough over the centuries but modern humans do like their quality water without getting some pooping sickness.

There is a temptation to make this sort of stuff out of tooling leather and "bling" the hell out of it with carvings. Once you do that, people will not actually use it and toss it in lakes or even get it wet. They hang it up as a status display and tell stories. This is the main reason that I use blacksmith sides for leather and leave it pretty rough. That is not to say you can beat the hell out of it or anything as it is mostly plastic, but for how my customers use them it works fine.

I will frequently take just a few coffee bags on canoe trips on salt water. If I puncture one (duct tape) and ruin it, well it got a little bit more use than it otherwise would have given that it was designed to be a one use throw away item. They are pretty solid though and treated well last quite a while. I have never actually used a leather covered one in the field but they are a decent base camp rig I guess for people that like that sort of thing. A little easier on the eyes for a guy pretending to be a viking than a big blue water jug.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
As you say it's the wax that does the work so splits will be fine.
Three mil is about perfect. Thicker and it's hard to form out, thinner and the packing bulges through the leather and kind of reverse-dimples it(the one on the right here is 2mm, the left 3mm).

FLASK.jpg

As a sidenote - I recently wetformed some 1mm vegtan over the semi-sphere of a boat compass them waxed it to make a cover. Was surprised how solid it came out for such thin leather - set me off on using it for another couple of projects.

[Edit]P.S. If you're not dipping it's maybe even more important to keep your awl holes small. I prefer a round awl giving a hole that's still tight to get the needle through. Long-nosed pliers are always to hand while stitching.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE