Can anyone tell me what this flower is ?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that Toddy is right. Some onions (aka Allium sp.) ae used for decorative plantings.
Snip off a leaf:
a) is it tubular, hollow inside?
b) crush some. Does it smell like onion?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the Sutton's link, I see Allium nectaroscordum . 'Silicum' I can only imagine that Silicum is somebody's common name.
In this post, I have corrected their notation of the correct Latin name. The Genus, Allium, is always capitalized.
The species, the specific term, nectaroscordum is never to be capitalized.

Toddy: Is A. siculum another species as well? I get to use A. because no other genus, generic term beginning with 'A' has been used.

In the olden days of type writers, words were underlined by the proof reader as a message to the typesetter = use Italics font for these words.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
In the Sutton's link, I see Allium nectaroscordum . 'Silicum' I can only imagine that Silicum is somebody's common name.
In this post, I have corrected their notation of the correct Latin name. The Genus, Allium, is always capitalized.

You'd think a company like Suttons would know the species is always lower case. So a capital, followed by a lower case, then a description, but not a name. In trees, it might be Variagata, or Purpurea to identify it as variagated or a purple leafed variety.

Here's a good example of shrub naming. Berberis isn't my favourite plant but it has many varieties and they're listed her correctly.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=Berberis thunbergii

I did trees, it's annoying when a system of naming plants, fungi, insects, arachnids, bacteria etc gets ignored after all the time it's taken to organise the weird and wonderful things we live with.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nice65: you ought to look inside the British Columbia Forest Service. They invented their own system of abbreviations,
not caring what the rest of the entire world agrees to for the naming of species.

Suttons ought to know, you're right. If they don't care about that fundamental concept, what else have they screwed up?
I actually sit up and pay more attention when the nomenclature is done correctly. Nice to see.
Either it's right or it's wrong. Nothing in between! Fix it or I won't accept your assignment.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks

Toddy: Is A. siculum another species as well? I get to use A. because no other genus, generic term beginning with 'A' has been used.

In the olden days of type writers, words were underlined by the proof reader as a message to the typesetter = use Italics font for these words.

I suspect it is down to the regular changes we see in plant nomenclature. I've also seen it listed as Nectarscordum siculum and the common name Sicilian Honey Garlic. I guess that's the origin of the specific name.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE