CAMRA's top ten pubs with walks nearby

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Is the CAMRA guide really:

"The top ten pubs that have paid to be in this guide."

That is the what most guides are, just advertising not an unbiased service to the public.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Maybe we should compile the BCUK guide to the best pubs with walks nearby then

good idea.

My first nomination is the Southampton Arms in north London. At least ten real ales and a few real ciders, all beer is from independent small breweries rather than the big boys. Basic but good pub snacks, think real pork pies and a pork bap compete with crackling that is to die for. No background music unless someone behind the bar remembers to put one of the vinyl collection on the turntable. Just down the road from hampstead heath so perfect for some refreshment after walking the dog.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Mine would be the Drummer boy in Easterton, Wiltshire

Sat not far from a the clay, a path which leads you up to the riedgeway around imber village impact range, with stunning iews north, east and west, and stunning wildlife on,in and over the plains.

Though I have to declare an interest, my sister runs the pub :D

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
the neuadd arms in llanwrtyd wells is great, the bell bar especially. open fires, half collapsed sofa's, micro-brewery on site that makes a 10.5% beer, and a juke box that uses the old 50p's

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
the neuadd arms in llanwrtyd wells is great, the bell bar especially. open fires, half collapsed sofa's, micro-brewery on site that makes a 10.5% beer, and a juke box that uses the old 50p's

I went there a lot over christmas while we were staying up that way. They do awesome food too.

The Clytha Arms near Raglan (Monmouthshire) is a really good country pub. Always a good range of ales and cider, dog friendly, nice relaxed atmosphere and the food is good. I go there on the odd occasion... :rolleyes:

Edit:- I forgot the walk. It's right by the river Usk, free parking in the National Trust carpark (if you can find it).

Last edited:

EdS

Tan Hill "bans" mobiles but there are plenty where you can not get a signal.

There are now some very good micro breweries around hte area as well -- Hetton Pale is a cracking beer.

There are a number of characterful pubs in the lesser Dales - Littondale, Coverdale, Arkengarthdale.

Guess I'm luck that I'm up and around the Dales alot having family in Swaledale and other stuff in Wharfedale & 3 Peaks area.

And then there is Appletreewick with 2 good pubs and a Cruck Barn:

http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/

http://www.the-new-inn-appletreewick.com/new/index.php

There again my local is the most famous "Dales" pub - even though its in a non existent dale and the pub itself is on the edge of Bradford district not The Dales.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE