Camping with wild boar

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

Hoping some have experience with wild boar. Where I am they are very common, and after camping in the UK for so long it has taken some adjustment with the idea of sharing the woods with another large animal.

For the most part it has been camping as normal, they tend to be aware theres something else in the woods and never come too close, here in Spain I'm guessing the majority are familiar with humans and know not to approach, although they tend to be bolder closer to the cities, I've had two close incounters so far,

Once with a baby boar who came up to us about 2 meters away. Obvious first thought is where is the mother and how big is she! The second was one who I think was just a bit forgetful, we followed his movements with his snufflings, and then turned on a headtorch when we could hear he was getting really close. He was more surprised than us funnily, I figure he never knew we were there, and we were surprised because he was really (!) close. He turned tail.

Higher in the https://www.google.es/search?hl=en&...0QXf54DADQ&ved=0CBsQvwUoAQ&q=Pyrenees&spell=1pyrenees they seem more skittish - heard one turn tail in fear when I sneezed..

But I'd like to understand them better. What time of year do they breed? Do they go into heat, or become aggressive?

Because when I wake up in the middle of the night from a massive beast crashing around the forest (my last camp) I can't help feel like a big burito ready to get gored in my hammock... :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had 2 close encounters:
1/ On the Luxembourg /German Border when I was in my teens. I managed to get between a mother Boar (I do not know if that is quite the right way to say it...) and her stripy boarlets.
She charged - I climbed a tree to fast that it was not until I was up it that I realsed that it was holdless and unclimbable!
She rounded up her babies and herded them off: I stayed in the tree until I stopped shaking then hurried off....
2/ Gournier Campsite on the Ardeche while a River Leader for Acorn. I had just had my normal very early wakening (I always wake early when camping) and had a quick trip up to the toilet block. On my return stroll I was suddenly confronted by a huge Boar with Mahoosive tusks which popped out of the bushes in front of me and stood staring at me.
If I had not just been up to the Loo blockthings might have got unpleasant...
The Boar however realised what he was up against , spun around and shot off in the opposite direction - straight under the hammock of some of the other river crew who were still asleep in their hammocks!
The Boars tusks narrowly missed slashing open a couple of buttock stretched hammocks - and to this day I am reknowned for pitching my hammock high!
I also had a "near miss" with Boar in the Forest of Dean.
While I took the Scouts on a 2 day canoe trip down the Wye, the Base Camp at Biblins was invaded by Boar and the Cubs camping slept through it all - the Cub Leaders didn't but stayed safe in their Tents!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've had two run under the guy lines of my tarp, they were going pretty fast and didn't stop to hear me scream. :)

For the most part they will avoid you, however if they want to get you climbing a tree will not help, they will dig at the tree roots until it falls. :(

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I go to a trad music session once a month at a pub in Soudley, Forest of Dean. I've often seen them in the headlights late at night but a few months ago, my friend and I were heading to the pub and we had to stop as an entire family of boar were in the road coming towards us!

We stopped and sat in the car. No way I was getting out with them all around the car! They hardly seemed to notice us in the car as they wandered both sides of the car. In fact the sow lay down at the roadside next to us and suckled the piglets while the boar snuffled about in the bushes nearby.

It was a magical few minutes before they headed back into the woods. Closest I've been to them.

Gareth

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... But I'd like to understand them better. What time of year do they breed? Do they go into heat, or become aggressive? ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar#Reproduction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar#Interactions_with_humans

We get them in the garden now and again (Pyrenees Orientales).

We like them, and view it as a privilege that they come at all. They don't bother us, and we try not to bother them.

Many of the locals hunt them of course. They have a special weird-shaped dog for hunting which is supposed to howl when it finds one, but a lot of them just turn tail and run instead.

We had one of those in the garden once too. Apparently it had just met its first wild boar and never really recovered from the experience, a bit like some posters here. :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I used to breed Boar, such wonderful little critters.
In answer to your questions, the main mating season is autumn (at least for those on the farm) but in the Pyrenees i couldn't be sure. As with all wild animals, you really must be cautious during the rutt as males can tend to be aggressive if they feel you're encroaching on their territory. Their tusks are, on average, 2-3inches long and can cause serious damage (i have a 4inch gash on my leg from an over eager male pushing past me during feeding time, and that was just a gentle nudge).
Females can get very protective of their young, as you'd expect. but the young are very inqusitive and so cute and funny to watch.
The best time to see them is early morning and dusk. they are pretty easy to track as they leave pretty wide trails but just, again, it is best to err on the side of caution and get to know a group if you visit a region regularly.
Best of luck as they really are adorable (i was devistated when i had to let mine go)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My experiences camping with and watching wild boar have all been positive. Like any wild animals approach slowly and be as non threatening as possible. Always give them a way out as they may decide to run over you in the attempts to flee.

I haven't had one approach my camp when I have been in a hammock but I have had a boar nibble my tinder bundle that I had stashed in a shelter for starting the morning brew. Not sure who was more startled.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE