Camp Fire Kettle?

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I am looking for a kettle which can be hung over a camp fire on a tripod. Can anyone please point me in the right direction, any recommendations or experiences. What material should the kettle be made from? :confused:

Hey Ali,

The ones from unbeatentracks.com are good here
The design is good with the large handle for hanging.

Size depends on how many of you there are.

You can of course just use a billy can or one of the zebra billy can kettles.

Enamel is good for a kettle used over a fire as well if you like to be more traditional.

check out cookshopcom on ebay for zebra billy can and different kettles including enameled ones.

PS - i have no affiliation with either of the links - just have dealt with both and found them to be good!

Hope this helps

Neil :)

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Thanks for the help :You_Rock_ Several of the ones suggested have black handles (not sure of material) are these ok to use over a fire? I presume the advantage of these types as that the handle wont get as hot?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Aliwren said:
Thanks for the help :You_Rock_ Several of the ones suggested have black handles (not sure of material) are these ok to use over a fire? I presume the advantage of these types as that the handle wont get as hot?

I wouldn't trust any plastic handle over an open fire Aliwren. It might be that its OK being suspended over a fire for many months, but the one time the fire is a bit big, you'll end up regretting it - I'd say go for a metal handle and get used to using a glove or pad to manouvre it when hot.

ATB

Ogri the trog

The ones from offbeatentracks have a heatproof plastic covering over the metal handle - not to stop it getting hot but i think to aid grip when using gloves to pick it up.

definately use gloves like ogri said as they get really hot even though most of the handle is shielded by the kettle itself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE