Camp Fire Grill/hotplate Prototype

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been busy this morn in the workshop, gathered a few bits of scrap together and made this, I am going to make an other one the idea was a firebox with a removeable grill that could be used just as a Grill/Hotplate on an open fire,

So the frist Step...

Found some Small Angle, then a bit of 6mm Plate, and some Welded Steel Mesh and some Flat Bar for folding legs, and a few screws.... some of the welding could have been better but hey Ok for a quick prototype.

going to try it out next weekend, it was wider and longer, but made it narrower as it did not look quite right, I want to see how well the plate does with heat retension, and how/if the heat spreads evenly, once happy with this I will make a final one to the size that works for me.

2012-05-06 12.36.23.jpg

I have worked out a couple of minor problems/changes I can see I want to do, I am already thinking about making an a small oven that will clip to the side as well...

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
Very good! I have one (not made, but bought) and it's proved very useful. Will be interesting to see how it handles the heat of the fire - our one is prety substantial and still tends to warp a bit!

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Very Nice, Well Done.

I'm in the process of making one at work for a friend, Not as big as yours though, Hoping to have it finished by next weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE