camelbak/iodine any negative effects?

so today i picked up a cheap army surplus camel bak
what i was wondering is would iodine react badly with the plastic of the camel bak my hope is to be able to purify water either in the camel bak however my main method of water purification is iodine and i would be a lil miffed if todays bargin disintergrated
many thanks in advance
Sam

H

He' s left the building

Iodine will stain the plastic brown but will not cause any problems.

H

He' s left the building

It's a good idea to keep it in a freezer when not in use to prevent algae growing inside, either that or buy the cleaning brushes and give it the occasional scrub. The mouthpiece/bitevalve can be taken off the tube for cleaning inside.

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
I once put poured iodine treated water into my Camelbak after the iodine was in my two canteens for the recomended time. The Camelbak then had a bit of an iodine taste to it for the next several times I used it with tap water. I think it may have given the water bag a bit of a brown stain as well. Adding the iodine directly to the Camelbak may give it an even stronger iodine taste even though you may not actually be treating water in it. I do share Wentworth's concern though that the iodine may not reach all of the parts of the Camelbak such as all the way through the tube.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I too have an army camel pak, think it needs a good cleaning of the innards, what stuff would be the best for the job?

H

He' s left the building

Milton fluid and brushes, take off the bite-valve to clean inside it and use a thin brush to clean the inside of the tube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE