Cajun Rocket pot-heat exchanger

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I got sent this link today and thought it may be of interest to those who do a lot of cooking over fires in static camps;

http://stores.cajunrocketpot.com/-strse-65/Cajun-Rocket-Stock-Pot/Detail.bok

Basically they are thick aluminium cookpots with a heat exchanger. The aluminium fins on the bottom look like they would clean up quite well periodically to remove heavy soot deposits from the fire.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I think its a bit heavy, but I could be wrong. I've seem em before used by professional restaurant chefs for exellent heat up time/spread/cook time. Personally I don't believe the pan would cool quickly enough to enable versatile cooking, and you may burn things, so I'll stick to my copper.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
copper is great for heat dissipation, however, the chemicals released by heating it will destroy you liver and kidney function.

nah, not in the quantities released, plus your body requires copper I believe so it would be used to dealing with it, plus people have used it for centuries. Aluminium will poison you and I do not believe is required by the body, but even at the quantities recieved from aluminium cookware is safe. One of the only metal cookware/tableware choices to poison is sterling silver, due to the alloying leached into the food, which gave rise to vampireism myths, rick old vampires and silver.

Edit :

www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=92

so of all the types of cookware,they're all terrible exept titanium, which has all the desirable qualities of gold and silver without the poisonous alloy agents invoved.

Last edited:

rg598

Native
Copper has been used for pots for a long time. It's not going to kill you. Any metal will have the same negative consequences for your body if absorbed in large enough quantities. That doesn't man that wearing a gold ring will shut down your liver. Copper pots are fine. They were almost exclusively used by the mountain men here in the US, and are still sold commercially today. And by the way, most water pipes these days are made out of copper.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Copper has been used for pots for a long time. It's not going to kill you. Any metal will have the same negative consequences for your body if absorbed in large enough quantities. That doesn't man that wearing a gold ring will shut down your liver. Copper pots are fine. They were almost exclusively used by the mountain men here in the US, and are still sold commercially today. And by the way, most water pipes these days are made out of copper.

Whilst I agree that copper pots probably won't do you any harm - it's worth noting that's what people thought about a large variety of household objects for a very long time before people finally understood the consequences. (Arsenic in wallpaper, Lead in pipes and make up, Radium in toothpaste, Asbestos, Margarine...Cigarettes even)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I got sent this link today and thought it may be of interest to those who do a lot of cooking over fires in static camps;

http://stores.cajunrocketpot.com/-strse-65/Cajun-Rocket-Stock-Pot/Detail.bok

Basically they are thick aluminium cookpots with a heat exchanger. The aluminium fins on the bottom look like they would clean up quite well periodically to remove heavy soot deposits from the fire.

I am in the market for a heat exchanger pot mate, for the next Arctic trip, I know you use one, got any suggestions for me brother?

Best.

Chris.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I am in the market for a heat exchanger pot mate, for the next Arctic trip, I know you use one, got any suggestions for me brother?

Best.

Chris.

Hiya buddy, hope your well :)

Something like this on the bottom;

Nearly a hundred years old too-on its 4th generation of being a camping kettle.

No idea where to get a pot with similar design though, sorry mate. The ones I linked to are a bit heavy. All the modern designs, like the Primus Etapowers have thin metal that will be choked in the first week and ruined when they get scraped with a stick.

Still searching for something thats just right. A 5l cookpot with these fins or would be ideal I reckon. The search continues.....

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Whilst I agree that copper pots probably won't do you any harm - it's worth noting that's what people thought about a large variety of household objects for a very long time before people finally understood the consequences. (Arsenic in wallpaper, Lead in pipes and make up, Radium in toothpaste, Asbestos, Margarine...Cigarettes even)

Hardly a fair statement. Science is much quicker and more able to work these kinds of things out these days. Scaremongering from people that do not understand or even want to understand science is rife these days. For instance the last people on earth I would take advice from is a whole earth company who have a vested interest in selling stuff.

I always if possible follow the science. I try to remember that pharmaceutical companies will push products that might not work for a nice profit and that alternative medicine and 'natural' product suppliers will do exactly the same thing only with almost no science at all. Both sets are generally shysters but at least "big Pharma" has some actual scientists working for them.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hardly a fair statement. Science is much quicker and more able to work these kinds of things out these days. Scaremongering from people that do not understand or even want to understand science is rife these days. For instance the last people on earth I would take advice from is a whole earth company who have a vested interest in selling stuff.

I always if possible follow the science. I try to remember that pharmaceutical companies will push products that might not work for a nice profit and that alternative medicine and 'natural' product suppliers will do exactly the same thing only with almost no science at all. Both sets are generally shysters but at least "big Pharma" has some actual scientists working for them.

I think it's a fair comparison. We always apply the knowledge we currently have to the situation. We do not have the benefit of hindsight. As I said I don't think copper is an issue, but the cutting edge of technology always poses risks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE