Buying Down

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Not UK based but I've used ExtremTextil several times

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Insulation:::53.html

Postage is reasonable and usually fairly swift to deliver.

Good luck finding a UK supplier, I'd be interested to see if anyone else has any suggestions

Thanks for the link, I'd seen these guys but wasnt sure what they were like but if they are good I'll get on it

does the cuin refer to the fill (higher fill, better insulation?)

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Just worked out the prices and it would be cheaper to buy an Unsponsered underquilt just about for the price of the down, surely there must be somewhere cheaper

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
does the cuin refer to the fill (higher fill, better insulation?)

That's correct.

With regards to prices, they do seem to have gone up since I purchased. As your own searches will show though, on-line retailers are scarce. I could be wrong but I suspect Unsponsored may have the benefit of bulk purchasing.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
It's also worth noting that the down you purchase from ExtremTextil is pretty much pure graded down - with most quilts and pillows you will find them using fairly low grade down mixed with feathers. For some that doesn't matter that much but if you want to get a decent performance estimate and a low carry weight then graded down from a known source is the way to go - albeit at a cost

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just worked out the prices and it would be cheaper to buy an Unsponsered underquilt just about for the price of the down, surely there must be somewhere cheaper

Thats what have come to relise when I was pricing up the costs to make my own underquilt. My other option was to go with synnthetic fill but would prefer down.

Think now I'm just going to save up and get an Unsponsered one.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I seem to remember that Unsponsored got his down from somewhere like Poland, if that helps. Have a look for his first thread on making underblankets, as I think there was a linkl in there. I am toying with having a go at this myself, so will monitor this thread.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
thanks, Ive looked on hammock gear and it seems there price is about the same for 800+ as my first link was for 700+. I suppose its not going to be cheap so may have to bite the bullet and get some ordered

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Slight thread hijack but does anyone know where to buy the pertex to put the down in? I have had a quick look but cant find the link I am looking for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE