Butter Refrigeration?

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
if butter melts and then solidifies again it will go rancid, you could turn it into ghee

from wikipeadia......
Ghee is made by simmering unsalted butter in a large pot until all water has boiled off and protein has settled to the bottom. The cooked and clarified butter is then spooned off to avoid disturbing the milk solids on the bottom of the pan. Unlike butter, ghee can be stored for extended periods without refrigeration, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation and remains moisture-free.[2] Texture, colour, or taste of ghee depends on the source of the milk from which the butter was made and the extent of boiling. In India, ghee is usually made with water buffalo's milk as it tends to be whiter than cow's milk.[citation needed]

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I sometimes place my butter container inside a cloth bag towel lined canvas) that is kept wet and allowed to evaporate. But this all depends on where you are going, and on what you are doing. This works fine for canoeing, less well for lightweight hiking, and probably not at all for desert trips.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Does butter need to be refrigerated? I'm going on an exped' and want to take some with me, would it be ok?

Instead of butter I carry one of the very small sigg containers and keep olive oil in it, it makes a passable substitute to eat with bread and doesn't go off when I'm traveling in warm countries.

:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A realy flavoursome olive oil - not one of those over refined tasteless ones that line the supermarket shelves - is a vast improvement on butter.
Ahh - memories of Morrocco, sitting on a flat roofed house in a remote village eating freshly made bread, dipped in a locallly pressed olive oil, and drinking glass after glass of sweet mint tea! Glorious!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE