Bushcraft night - pt 2: leather stuff and some candles ( VERY pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
hi all.
so, in continuation of the 'bushcraft night' idea this is what I did last night after the weather pushed me indoors. I had wanted to post pics of some of my stuff for a while but could never seem to fin the time. last november I ordered a deerskin, starterkit and a few other bits and bob's from Tandy leather fact. As a result some of my first tuff is the very generic kits that they supply, with little if any changes. It as also before I dicovered the forum so I was jsut kinda making it up as I went along. biggest mistake i made was I had never heard of a stich groover/setter thing, and in looking for an awl bout two awl stiching needles.

first pouch i every made, deerskin, now my tinder pouch.

second pounch. for box of smokes. (still quite rough around the edges)

a deerskin possibles pouch. misstiched the middle piece but it looks alright when theirs is stuff in it.

first stamping and carving projects

two coasters:

belt: only 1 serious screw up.. kind drifted with the pattern and so stamped a line down and stared again from that point.

a credit card wallet thingy: first attempt with dyes, (as can be scene from the mistakes)

cheque book cover Never finished cause I don't have a cheque book!): tried to change the pattern a tiny, tiny bit to get a more celtic design

then there's the two bits I made the missus for xmas
a deerskin A5 notebook cover

and a deerskin clutch handbag with a butterfly stiched into it:

after taking these photos, I sat down to use some of the beeswax sheets I got during the week.
the rolled ones are between 1 -1.5" thick

the fat one in the glass is a mixture of of 'sticky wax' (used by dental nurses) diluted with more beeswax. (thanks to Toddy for the info regarding the ingredients of this 'sticky wax' - it burns great.) and the taller one is the same mix with some extra beeswax added to the top to give a two-tone effect.

so after I finished this I will admit that I was 'several' drinks in and it was approaching 3'oclock in the morning.
so feeling a little cocky and and the effects of the alchohol I sat down and made these:

a roll-style travel pouch for my needles and thread out of deerskin and a bit of sponge . (pretty happy with it all things considered, knot is a bit messy though.)

and a deerskin belt sheath for my folding saw. (Aldi's finest)

so all in all I think my 'bushcraft night' idea was a success! i got far more done in this amount of time than I normally would and had a great night instead of a disapointed one over a missed trip. (course the down side is that I still had to get up weel early to make breaky for the sick missus.:rolleyes:)

so let me know what ya all thinks.

Regards,
Baelfore

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Poorly Mrs will think she's woken up in an 'Elves and the shoemaker' dream with all those completed projects around! A great nights work :) I hope she's feeling better too so you get your trip out next weekend and get to use your new goodies :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE