Bushcraft courses in Glasgow area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

trackermanjoe

I have been looking into courses in bushcraft with a view to persevering
and hopefully look for voluntary work leading to paid work in this field.

I am 24 and a gardener to trade and have a strong interest in everything outdoors. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything bushcraft related in the glasgow area that does courses or may employ me voluntary or part time. Im looking into booking a bushcraft course soon and figured Id start with a
day or weekend course initially.

I would be very grateful if anyone knew of ANYTHING outdoorsy in the Glasgow area that might be willing to give me the chance to work voluntary to learn more about a subject which I am enthusiastic and more than willing to work as hard as possible to thrive in.

Thank you!!!

Any help/ advice on getting into bushcraft will be greatly received!

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Backwoods is the only one I am aware of - understand operated by a nice guy called ( really ) Jock. Think part of Breakaway survival outfit.

If you are looking for employment etc, you may want to research etc. I know Jock helped out Simon King on his 'Return to the Land' journey last year when Simon was around Glasgow. May be worth checking Simons website - cant recall address, but its listed in the Support Index of the Allied Special Forces Assoc website.

Some of the hotels have outdoor pursuits type companies do stuff for them - some of which offer survival type activities. That maybe too far off track from what you are seeking - but worth doing a search on Google.

Good luck.

Oakleaf

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have no other links other than the ones posted. I have been loking for a while but then started to think about the irony of looking for a local course away from it all ?????

I am delighted to see that there are more members from the Glasgow area on the forum. Make sure you add yourselfs to the BCUK map so we can tell who is in our area (that applies to everyone not just Scottish members)

I am still very much a beginer in Bushcraft but we could arrange a meeting in the Glasgow area to see if we can help each other out at all. Let me know if you are interested.

T

trackermanjoe

Thanks so much for your help, hadnt heard of blueskies! I might start with a day course, then a weekend course and work up experience then approach somewhere for voluntary work.... U think thats right way to get into career in field of work? Any suggestions?

Cheers

:pack:

MagiKelly

chris said:
Joe

Have you tried this, I think it's in your area

http://www.survivalandsafetyschool.co.uk/

Not been there myself, so couldn't say what to expect

Chris :wave:
I would be VERY wary of this one. It was mentioned in a thread some months back. When asked to give more information about there instructors and their qualifications the reply was that they could not give answers as it would breach the Data Protection act!

I would like to hear from someone that has done one of there courses before I parted with any money.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I can definitely recommend the Blue Skies courses - they are done by a friend of a friend, and it is here that I learnt fire-starting with a bow drill. The woman who runs the courses (Kate Hedges) trained in the US at Tom Brown's school, which is always a good recommendation!

Alternatively, if you were wanting to just meet up with people and have an exchange of skills, perhaps this could be arranged with the Scottish folk? I'd certainly be up for it!

T

trackermanjoe

I definately be up for a meeting, just a question of where etc, would be good to meet people with same thoughts on bushcraft. Im kinda a lone bushcraft amateur here and need the support!?! haha!

MagiKelly

First thing to do is add yourself to the BCUK map as if anyone is planning a local meetup that is where they are likely to look for local members. After that it is a case of suggesting something yourself or waiting for someone else to get round to it. I may get round to it but it is likely to be spring next year as I have a lot on at the moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE