Brynje: Fishnet meraklon underwear!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
After 15 years I finally bought a pair today since it was 30% off. Blue Super Thermo Polo with pee hole pants..
Worth every penny since they will last as long as ventile if not torn or burned to pieces. Good for hot people who are sweating buckets and while being still the trapped air insulates. Got dissapointed in lifa sports underwear but the clerk said these two could be combined with great succes.
Also could be used in comination with wool underwear. Over or under it depending on usage. They sell two layered underwear with thermo(fishnet) and merino wool sewn together. Sister of an Norwegian SBS said they were very popular with their troop and he had bought his sister a set which she wore all the
time. Arctic line is probably too hot but nice to know mixing and matching other underwear works great with these.
Got a great tip too from the clerk. Use a wee bit of winegar for washing off the stench normal washing powder cannot remove.

http://spindel.oslonett.no/weblisher/cache/110x_a777ab08f635c3cf339f54be8e19a116brynje-undertoy.jpg

Sorry for the Norway kit commercial/bragging but this is it for me regarding sports underwear.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Can I ask a series of really, really stupid questions without anyone being offended?

Brynje underwear is cotton, right? And doesn't cotton when wet take ages to dry and eventually lower a person's body temperature? Isn't Brynje traditionally worn underneath of Norgie shirts which are also cotton. I know that wearing fishnet underneath of a cotton shirt will keep the damp material off your skin a little bit, but how much does it help insulate? Wet cotton is wet cotton, right?

Alright, I'm done ranting. I don't meant come off as rude or anything, but I've always been curious as to the purpose of wearing cotton thermal undergarments. I was on a hike once with some people, one of the chaps was wearing cotton as a thermal layer. It rained horribly the night before we were to hike out (typical BC mountain weather) and he became really, really hypothermic very quickly. Anyway, we ended up stripping the poor guy down, putting him into dry clothes and looking after him all through the night. He lived, but the whole experience scared the sh*it out of me.

So if someone could answer this question for me, that would be really nifty!

Thanks guys,

Adam

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
addyb said:
Can I ask a series of really, really stupid questions without anyone being offended?

Brynje underwear is cotton, right? And doesn't cotton when wet take ages to dry and eventually lower a person's body temperature? Isn't Brynje traditionally worn underneath of Norgie shirts which are also cotton. I know that wearing fishnet underneath of a cotton shirt will keep the damp material off your skin a little bit, but how much does it help insulate? Wet cotton is wet cotton, right?

Alright, I'm done ranting. I don't meant come off as rude or anything, but I've always been curious as to the purpose of wearing cotton thermal undergarments. I was on a hike once with some people, one of the chaps was wearing cotton as a thermal layer. It rained horribly the night before we were to hike out (typical BC mountain weather) and he became really, really hypothermic very quickly. Anyway, we ended up stripping the poor guy down, putting him into dry clothes and looking after him all through the night. He lived, but the whole experience scared the sh*it out of me.

So if someone could answer this question for me, that would be really nifty!

Thanks guys,

Adam

Adam ... didn't knew you could ask such really stupid questions ... ;)

Seriously:
Brynje is available in:

- cotton
http://www.brynje.no/public/index.php?set_language=en&cccpage=webshop_l1&set_z_qm_product_grp1=4
Note the text: "keeping people comfortable" (not: dry)

and

- meraklon, which is a synthetic material, and doesn't absorb.
http://www.brynje.no/public/index.php?set_language=en&cccpage=webshop_l1&set_z_qm_product_grp1=8
Note the text: "knitted from a fine Meraklon yarn that will not absorb moisture."

Hope this helps my Canadian friend ;) :p

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Fishnet cotton is good imho too for hot weather, since it cools the body while leathing air through.

Norgie shirts as used by the norwegian army are cotton to save money. We didnt even have raingear. Our underwear had some % of wool in it but not too much for minimising costs... Our outer cotton were decent. Ah the fun in heavy rain and sleet in the winter on wooden skiis, pulkas carrying our elephant rifles(G3)...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE