Brunex mod

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I can't be the only person here who owns or has owned a Brunex Swiss bag
I'm 6'6" tall and I move about a bit whilst I'm asleep and I've always found it difficult to get a sleeping bag that I've felt really comfortable in, so when I came across the Brunex a few years ago it seemed almost too good to be true. It looked rather like a poor man's Buffalo with its 'proper' hood and centre zip, 7 feet long and under 15 quid to boot.

When I had a closer look at it it seems to be made for (Swiss?) soldiers to use with all their clothes on. Insulation-wise it's a good 2-season bag at best and it's lined with the same robust polyester fabric that forms the shell. The extra length and a bottom end made more spacious by the insertion of a square panel in the foot offer plenty of room for big boots and extra gear.
I used it alone and with other bags a few times but it was never a really satisfactory setup and by the by found its way into long term storage.

Last week I was looking at options for a new Winter bag. The modified Snugpak Navigator and Thermalon liner are getting a bit tired and ready for replacement.
Plan A was for a sort of Buffalo Superbag clone as I had to hand all the stuff to do it. The stumbling block was that a single lap of fibrepile might not be enough. I didn't want to have to buy in stuff if I could help it.

Then it came to me. Brunex + fibrepile had to be worth a try, so that's what I did. and the result is very nice indeed. OK, it's a bit heavy at 2.9kg and it takes up quite a lot of space although a compression spider is in the works as I write but I was nekid in it on Sunday night and lovely toasty warm. All my day gear was down at the foot so was lovely and warm when I came to put it on on Monday morning.
Well pleased with it so far and looking forward to seeing how it does in colder weather.

Attachments

• Brunex.jpg
    Brunex.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Brunex1.jpg
    Brunex1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Brunex3.jpg
    Brunex3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE