Broody Hen, any one get any tips?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have 3 hens and so far they have been pretty good layers.
Recently we have had a couple of soft eggs but we are not sure which hen laid them.
One of the hens has got broody and as is sitting on all the eggs unless we physically remove her from the eggs. Is this the best thing to do?
Even when I remove the eggs she still stays in the nesting box. I have taken to picking her up and putting her on the ground with the others and she seems ok.

Any tips to stop her being broody or how to deal with it?

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I'm not saying my missus is a chicken but she is a female . I find the after effects of a chicken curry are a sure fire way to prevent broodiness.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I f you have not got a cockerel you don't want her sitting, she will waste energy and they loose a lot of condition. dropping the body temp is the way to cure them, we used to put it in a wire cage out somewhere cool overnight they would hop out in the morning and be feeding with the rest. At least keep booting it off the nest.

resnikov

I f you have not got a cockerel you don't want her sitting, she will waste energy and they loose a lot of condition. dropping the body temp is the way to cure them, we used to put it in a wire cage out somewhere cool overnight they would hop out in the morning and be feeding with the rest. At least keep booting it off the nest.

Cheers will try that tomorrow night and she how she goes.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We had one broody last month, we had to keep taking her out of the coop, getting her to move around, she did t like it, but eventually stopped and is back to laying again.. Certainly the cooling down helped..

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I used to shut them up in a box with a slatted bottom so they had to perch...

That worked for my hens, I used an old dog cage with coop cups for their food and water in so there was nowt to sit on. I called it the 'Cooler', I didn't give them a baseball though!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE