British Military Issue Bergen Short Back DPM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Yesterday I had the good fortune to run into a friend who just demobbed from the Royal Marines. He had some kit he wanted rid of as he 'has no desire ever to sleep outside again'. (Fool!) I was like a kid in a sweet shop.

Among other bits of kit, I bought an unused British Military Issue Bergen Short Back in DPM.

My God, is it uncomfortable compared to my Lowe Alpine Sting! Wearing the Sting is like putting your hand inside a tailored kid leather glove in comparison. Does anyone know how it compares to the Vulcan or Karrimor Bergens in terms of comfort? The main compartment is around 70 or 80 litres in volume.

It comes with two 20 litre side pouches which zip robustly on the sides and there is even a pouch on the front (unused entrenching tool sitting inside!) that could be used for all kinds of kit like tarps and bivvy bags. Seeing this pouch has inspired me to buy a molle pouch for my Sting, because it looks cool (and is practical).

The shoulder straps seem to me rock hard (although I've been informed they quickly soften up) and where the straps on my Lowe Alpine sit snugly on my hips on this they sit uncomfortably around my waist. I know this is intentional as armed forces are likely to be wearing webbing on their hips but how they hump upwards of 120 litres worth of kit around over long distances beats me. Probably why they're considered so tough!

The bag itself does seem bomb proof. The stitching is excellent and the cordura material is thicker and tougher than almost anything else I've seen. I think Webtex do a version of this pack but I've not heard good things about them and my marine buddy reckons most of his comrades stick with this military issue Bergen.

I think I'll give the Bergen to my bro as a birthday present but if he doesn't want it I might sell it if anyone is interested. I've no idea how much they go for.

Does anyone else own one of these and how do you find it?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I own one and have used it all over for the last 15 years. It's a no nonense bergan designed to be simple, strong, cheap and be robust enough for war. I like mine and find civvy kit doesn't really match up, but it lacks any real back system and weighs more empty than most other bags full.
I find it comfortable enough and they do break in a bit with use. Most of the intended users don't have a choice and this reflects in the design.
My advice would be give it a try in the field and see if it works for you. One things for sure, you'll never break it. Price wise depends, once the new dpm ones are in the mod will probably scrap hundreds of them and the price will drop as it did with the og ones.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's a poor design with nothing but drawbacks and no good points what-so-ever. You might as well package it up and send it to me now. I'll see that it's properly disposed of :)

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
It's a poor design with nothing but drawbacks and no good points what-so-ever. You might as well package it up and send it to me now. I'll see that it's properly disposed of :)

I am happy to do this entirely free of charge. Due to the massive weight and bulk the Post Office are charging me £250 to send it!

Seriously, I'll have to see if my brother likes it first. If he does he's a tougher man than I.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Unless you're 5ft tall then it's the long back that you need.....they are designed to sit on belt webbing though.;)

I have a long back & after a few mods, it works for me....though I can understand they don't suit everyone...
The suspension system is pretty basic & has nothing in common with the vulcan or sabre bags you mentioned.

2012_0602tracks0074.jpg

If you want a tough,cheap, well made, no frills rucky that can carry loadsa gear & you dont have scores of kilometers to hike then it would be hard to find a better alternative.....:)

As for squaddies tabbing with them.......they don't do it for pleasure....they are paid & ordered to do it....:D

santaman Knows a good thing when he sees it,;) they are very popular in the States & are particually prized as 'bug out bags' 'cause they can carry a hell of a lot of kit & won't fall apart in the field.......I have to say though £250 for postage to America is absolutely ridiculous, shouldn't be more than £60.

Last edited:

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Unless you're 5ft tall then it's the long back that you need.....they are designed to sit on belt webbing though.;)

I have a long back & after a few mods, it works for me....though I can understand they don't suit everyone...
The suspension system is pretty basic & has nothing in common with the vulcan or sabre bags you mentioned.

2012_0602tracks0074.jpg

If you want a tough,cheap, well made, no frills rucky that can carry loadsa gear & you dont have scores of kilometers to hike then it would be hard to find a better alternative.....:)

As for squaddies tabbing with them.......they don't do it for pleasure....they are paid & ordered to do it....:D

santaman Knows a good thing when he sees it,;) they are very popular in the States & are particually prized as 'bug out bags' 'cause they can carry a hell of a lot of kit & won't fall apart in the field.......I have to say though £250 for postage to America is absolutely ridiculous, shouldn't be more than £60.

I think the long back would be more comfortable for someone not wearing belt webbing (which I imagine would bear some of the weight). You're right about it being rugged. Yours looks good.

My £250 postage fee was a feeble attempt at an Ebay style ridiculously high P&P joke. I should have added a smiley face as it obviously didn't work!

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I've just got one of these myself, after borrowing a mates for a couple of weekends away , He's got both the short and the long back, I prefer the short back, even though i'm over 6ft, not had any issues with it at all, to be fair they are bombproof, but, not everyone's first choice.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Using your link rik & with the dimensions of the box mine came in (yes I still have it :rolleyes:....that's 60x43x19 cm) & with a wieght of 4Kg (the bag is actually 3Kg but including the box & any extras) I got a quote of £56.40 ..EVEN LESS WITH ECONOMY...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I guessed the weight. Its a great service, book online, print off the bar code and details (they set up a print page for you), stick on the box and wait for a knock at the door. Hand over your parcel and its job done.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
http://www.interparcel.com would cost about £75 / $125 postage Santaman, are you after one?

I like the Long Back, they suit my shape I guess as I found them comfy.

I've been perusing them on ebay (longback ones) The general postage rates quoted (to get them to the US or Canada) seems to run 30-60 quid depending, I suppose, on the shipping method. The sale prices on the "bay seem reasonable in and of themselves (about 35-60 pounds) but then add the postage and they become a bit to dear for us over here (rather like you trying to get an ALICE pack over there) Were it not for that I'd love one!!

As it is, I just successfully negotiated for a CFP-90 instead; total cost to me (postage included) $45.66 (29.53 pounds) www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cfp-90

And I still have 2 ALICE packs mounted on frames. One large and one medium (the medium is now earmarked for my Godson)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE