Box steel for stove chimney

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Is there any downside using large gauge box steel to make a chimney for a gas bottle heater? I have a flag pole I'm going to chop down made of the stuff and figure that's better than scrapping it?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I can't see any problems using it apart from the weight.

Is it galvanised? If it then that's probably the only issue you might have

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Not too sure, it's covered in paint, bit rusty in places so I assume not! I can't find anything else which seems suitable unless I buy new, which goes against the grain of the project. People suggested exhaust pipes etc but they seem too small gauge.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not too sure, it's covered in paint, bit rusty in places so I assume not! I can't find anything else which seems suitable unless I buy new, which goes against the grain of the project. People suggested exhaust pipes etc but they seem too small gauge.

If it's rusty it should be ok. I assume you'll be chucking the pipe in a fire to burn off the paint prior to using.

As for exhaust pipes... have a look at lorry exhausts, much larger diameter than normal car or vans.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
RHS is fine for chimneys. The thicker the better within reason if you can cope with the weight. A flagpole should be long enough to give you a decent draught. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The extra material making up the thicker section will give a higher thermal mass - which should mean a more efficient draught once it gets warm.

Ogri the trog

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Put an ad out on freecycle, see what comes back! must be someone with a rusting lorry exhaust somewhere...!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE