bowl carving with crook knives

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have been experimenting with bowlcarving over the last months, I have been primarily working in a Scandinavian/European tradition both tools and designs. I have always very much admired the work of the native cultures of the Pacific Northwest and decided it was time I explored those designs, tools and techniques. For years I have coveted the crook knives made by Gregg Blomberg of kestrel tools. I remember seeing a stand with these at one of the first woodworking shows I demonstrated at in about 1995 but they were way out of my budget at the time. Then a couple of years ago when the dollar was very weak I contacted Gregg, he is in semi retirement but still making some tools though at that time he could not accept payment from the UK. Finally this year I managed to order some tools and they arrived just before Christmas so I have been experimenting with them.

IMG_1607.jpg

They are beautifully made and finished, I always like to buy tools from folk that are also tool users because such tiny differences can make a tool that sings whilst a similar looking one can be barely usable. To begin with as with any new tool they feel awkward, I keep thinking I would work better and faster with the Scandinavian and home forged tools I am familiar with. I often see students try a new tool only briefly before returning to the tool they know, so now I hear my own comments in my head, and force myself to master these new tools before judging them alongside the ones I know.

These tools are used in a very different way to most European hook knives in that you hold them palm up instead of palm down. I have been working with Eastern Woodlands style mocotaugan crook knives for a while and they too are used palm up but always drawing towards the body. These tools work best when pushing away with a twist of the wrist and once mastered they are very fast and effective especially for texturing and finishing the outside of a bowl.

IMG_1603.jpg

Having worked over a Scandinavian style bowl I carved one which is inspired by North West Coast traditional styles. The form is loosely based on a raven design ladle. When fully dry the head and eye will be painted with the traditional red and black colours typical of Haida carvings.

IMG_1593.jpg

I would highly recommend anyone who is not familiar with the work of the native cultures of the Pacific North West taking a little time to see some of the original works of one of the worlds premier woodworking cultures. Putting "Haida bowl" into google image search is a good start.

And here is Gregg's Kestrel Tool webpage http://www.rockisland.com/~kestrel/

More pictures of bowl and spooncarving on my blog http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Have you tried an elbow adze yet Robin?
The palm up push away and twist action you described is precisely the way I use the bog standard Mora spoon knife's, it is natural feeling to me. It works SO fast to drill in deep and hollow a ladle or spoon....

Crank Cuffin

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Bognor Regis
I love the ravens head ladle you have carved there, Robin.
What wood did you use?
It has inspired me to have a go myself.
In your post you say "when fully dry".
Does this mean that you carve these green and let them season after?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Have you tried an elbow adze yet Robin?

No but it is definitely something I would like to I have used many different adzes, mostly European but also Japanese and I spent a bit of time with Damian Goodburn using bronze adzes and axes which are not surprisingly quite similar to the Native American elbow adze. The Japanese adze is quite similar also in having a shaft that is designed to flex and bounce giving a very soft action taking multiple small accurate chips and also used as a surface texturing tool.

I love the ravens head ladle you have carved there, Robin.
What wood did you use?
It has inspired me to have a go myself.
In your post you say "when fully dry".
Does this mean that you carve these green and let them season after?

This one is willow but I would advise willow, poplar lime or alder are all good woods to practice bowlcarving, use it green but get rid of as much weight as possible as soon as possible. If you have to leave it whilst the walls are still over 1/2" thick then wrap it in a plastic bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE