boredom buster mini moccasin

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
I am house sitting for my folks at the moment and sadly they have far to many pet to risk porcupine quills. so i have started making a pair of baby/mini moccasins out of flank/belly offcuts. They are being made purely to stave of the boredom.once i get home they will be beaded and quilled. One of my reasons for making such a diminutive pair of moccs is that many 18th and early 19th century collections contain these small baby moccasins. even pairs i have viewed privately at the british museum are only at the largest about a uk adult 2-4 as a whole. This is a pucker toe style based upon huron/wyandot moccasins

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
will be one of a pair hhazeldean. The toe section will be decorated with zigzag and single line quillwork with quill wrapped drops which will have tin cones and deer hair. then the flaps will also be decorated with blanket stitch beading and quillwork

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Woah that sounds pretty complex and detailed!! Is it a lot harder on something so small, or is there no real difference?

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
its kinda swings and roundabouts. Its more fiddly working with smaller quills due to the stitches being a lot closer together due to quill width, but due to them being thinner they are far easier to manipulate.

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
I also plan to do a few tutorials (maybe including video) for a few different types of moccs, both centre seam and pucker toe centre seam but also Tlicho moccasins (as seen on northern wilderness with Ray Mears) with buckskin foot sections and canvas legs They are also a vamped construction rather than 1 piece moccs as the centre seams

Last edited:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Really neat work. Reminds me of a set of Dentures that a colleague made years ago that would have fitted a cat. I really enjoy miniature creations. I made a miniature kayak years ago, built with a Balsa Wood frame and covered with Rag
Tissue then Doped, like a model aircraft. It was only about Six inches long, but looked real cute as you could see the frame through it. Long gone now however, I forget what happened to it. Good fun making it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE