Boiling Wood In Salt Water

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
I notice, when making kuksa cups, they are boiled in salt water.

What dose this do to the wood?

I often work with green wood, will boiling it in salt water keep it from splitting?

Harmony

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I soak my rough turned bowls in alcohol overnight then wrap them in a brown paper bag for a week. Since I started doing this not one bowl has split. I can also turn them thinner and they do not go out of round as they dry.

Boiling in brine may well do the same sort of thing. I used to boil my spoons in oil but some of them got too much oil in them and never dry. I had one still oozing oil after ten years.

Now I just heat them and rub the oil in.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
The hulls of wooden boats don't rot much if they remain pickled in seawater, usually the problem areas are above the water line where rain water does the damage or if you take the boat out of the water and the hull dries out.. So I guess there is a preservative element to salt water.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My understanding is that salt being hygroscopic once in the wood keeps the moisture level in the wood higher than untreated wood. This causes the kuksa to dry slower and likely more evenly resulting in less splitting.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
This is the box I was working on, when I soaked the green walnut in warm brine for 48 hr..

The salt defiantly was taken into the cells of the wood. It changed specific gravity and sank in the tank. I slow dried it.

I am hoping the salt will draw a little moister and keep the wood from splitting.

The box is a present for my granddaughter. She is starting her first permanent job as a middle school math and science teacher. School were she teaches are the "Vikings". I am sure I will get reports on how the walnut is doing.

The dragon head, tail and the shields are walnut. Lid is sumac, sides are birch bark and bottom is black oak.

Love the color and grain of sumac.

Harmony

Viking11034.jpg

Viking110lidoff.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE