Boiling tins

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
When I was in the 'mob' compo rations were still in tins....Mmmmmmmmmm Bacon burgers and stewing steak... :eek:

The standard method of heating started out by piercing the tins and standing them in a boiling pan. Then we developed into just knocking a dent in the tins so that they weren't pierced but had room for oexpansion (prior to explosion). Ayway the standard compo pack doesn't have a tin in sight these days :( However, is there any problem with heating pre-cooked tinned food in this way now? Any foreseeable issues with contamination etc????

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when tins are dented they are supposed to be rejected because the lining can leach poisons and contaminant into the food, but most tins have some form of plastic or galvanised coating which im sure is great for our health........NOT!!!!!

just do it im sure it wont kill you any faster, i have done it many times then used the tin for boiling water in, and im still ok, i think....;)

regards.

chris.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
when tins are dented they are supposed to be rejected because the lining can leach poisons and contaminant into the food, but most tins have some form of plastic or galvanised coating which im sure is great for our health........NOT!!!!!

just do it im sure it wont kill you any faster, i have done it many times then used the tin for boiling water in, and im still ok, i think....;)

regards.

chris.

Ta mate. It was standard practice when military compo rations came in tins. I guess I'll risk it :D

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If your re-heating a tinned food you dont want too much direct heat as it burns the food. Heating in water (Bain marie) ensures it doesn't get hotter than 100 degrees and doesnt burn. A direct heat from the same fire could be up to 400 degrees and would burn the contents. Pierce all cans before heating or burn the hard way.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
If your re-heating a tinned food you dont want too much direct heat as it burns the food. Heating in water (Bain marie) ensures it doesn't get hotter than 100 degrees and doesnt burn. A direct heat from the same fire could be up to 400 degrees and would burn the contents. Pierce all cans before heating or burn the hard way.

Yup always done in water (boiling) piercing is good but then I love the feel of napalm on my hand before dinner :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE