boil in the bag... bags

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I've used the bacofoil ones to boil cakes on camps. The Lakeland ones look like they're considerably cheaper although they're a bit smaller.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote here, been using them for years too.

They do need some form of closure though, and knot works but a twisty thing works better. For peace of mind in the pack though I prefer the Pour & Store bags

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I tried them and it failed I'm sorry to say. It touched the side of the pot melted and dinner turned into soup.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cool thats good to know, always been a bit wary about using the water. Guess its the same with rat pack boil in the bag as well.

Not really matey, no need to open the boil in bag rats while the heat, it find it best to squash the contents if there are big lumps like with stews or meat balls to reduce the heat time,

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I use pour and store. My usual standby is cous cous which I measure into the bag and put into my ratpack. I then pour boiling water into the bag and leave till ready. This leaves left over water for a brew. This also works with porridge, instant noodles and instant mashed potato. I've read with interest on the forum about using pot cosies. I intend to try the idea with my pour and store method.

Last edited:

K_FLEET

Feb 6, 2010
Grimsby
I use those Lakeland bags there pretty tough. I've used normal zip locks before but I was always worried about them splitting with hot water.
Its a shame that the Lakeland bags don't have any form of closure but there quite tall so I just roll them up and put some tape over it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE