Bloke Gets Philosophical About Hunting Wild Pig.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
This a video of an American TV host killing a wild pig with a knife in Hawaii,
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-rinella/wild-boar-hunting-hawaii_b_812262.html.
The show is The Wild Within from the Travel Channel, http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/The_Wild_Within.
The sample videos don't download for me but it certainly looks interesting.
The presenter is a guy called Steven Rinella, http://www.stevenrinella.com/.
From his interviews he doesn't seem like the usual US TV knobhead, a bloke well worth keeping an eye on in future I think.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
US reality TV. Intrusive incidental music, constant camera cut ins and cut aways, lots of shots of meaningful glances and stares.

If Ray's and Bear's programs have contributed to the number of half collapsed leaf shelters I find in the woods, or youtube videos with folks testing out their mashety [sic] on perfectly healthy trees, I wonder if this kind of programing will encourage some to try to stab the odd sheep to death?

Not my kind of thing, I'll stick with Wild Britain and Northern Wilderness, but thanks for the link. :)

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Quote:
"Everyone wants to eat bacon, but no-one wants to stab the pig!"

Ain't that a fact? I suppose the reality of it in the UK is closer to "most people don't want to even think about bacon ever having been a pig and prefer it to have been something made in a factory somewhere in another part of the country and not anywhere near where they live."

Even a fair number of vegetarians like to eat bacon... and sausages... can you get Quorn pork chops yet I wonder? If not it won't be long.

I do wonder about the longevity of a species which is trying so hard to divorce itself from the realities of it's diet. How many pandas would there be now without human intervention? How many vegetarians would there be without rolled, powdered, extracted and retextured vegetable and myco proteins, largely produced off the back of cheap and plentiful fossil fuel energy?

Food for thought? I like to think so :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I do wonder about the longevity of a species which is trying so hard to divorce itself from the realities of it's diet..."

I think you are conflating the human population 'species' with the UK and US population, one doesn't have to travel too far to find oneself amongst people who know exactly where their pork (or equivalent) comes from and the work involved in transforming vegetation into hams and sausages. :D

Edited to add:

There are of course folks in the UK and US who know how their meat gets to the table. :)

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Quote:
"Everyone wants to eat bacon, but no-one wants to stab the pig!"

That was the best part! It should be printed on every package of bacon at the store.:D
Food for thought?;)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I think you are conflating the human population 'species'
I quite agree, the word species is not absolutely correct, yet. However, it was the best I could do without an essay to explain. :cool:

with the UK and US population, one doesn't have to travel too far to find oneself amongst people who know exactly where their pork (or equivalent) comes from and the work involved in transforming vegetation into hams and sausages. :D

Edited to add:

There are of course folks in the UK and US who know how their meat gets to the table. :)

Sadly those people appear to be in the minority, even here I suspect and there is a difference between knowing something intellectually and knowing something through direct experience. How many people reading this thread have actually taken a life in order to eat? How many, without having done so, will happily buy fish, chicken and pork in the supermarket?

The rest of the World? Surely that's only a matter of time and a little marketing, I mean, we seem to have fallen for it... :eek:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Sadly those people appear to be in the minority, even here I suspect and there is a difference between knowing something intellectually and knowing something through direct experience. How many people reading this thread have actually taken a life in order to eat? How many, without having done so, will happily buy fish, chicken and pork in the supermarket?.."

Well said. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE