Blade cleaner-pine resin

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
When whittling away on pine my blades get pretty gummed up after awhile, especially from a burl. I've used lighter fluid, WD-40, gasoline-you name it, but the absolute best thing I've found is....nail polish remover:yikes:
My wife came home the other day with a bottle big enough to last her a couple of lifetimes so on a whim I tried it and it is amazing how well it works. Just thought I'd share as most households likely have it and it's a lot safer than messing about with some of the other things I've used.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
you can use it in your meths stove too, it makes the whole campsite smell like a french tart's buodoir, it's awesome!

stuart

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Acetone and meths are great for removing sap- a baby wipe with a little of either on it remove most of my troublesome sticky bits at work.

Mar 24, 2010
Finland
bushnblade.com
I use to use nail polish remover but my wife was not happy about me empting the bottol.
So I use alcohol, which I use for Trangia stove. Cheaper and even in woods, I often have it with me. Also seems to be less aggressive to handle material and glue / epoxy used.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
On a related note a have some epoxy in the lanyard tube of the knife I've just made - Scraping it out has proved inefficient but from what's been written below I'm guessing that nail varnish remover on a cotton bug is the way to go? Or is their a better way?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Meths, acetone or normal paint stripper wont touch epoxy. It laughs at them.

I have found some epoxy remover on the bay here, I've never used it though so can't comment on its effectiveness.

To save money, just keep hitting it with an abrasive-have you tried rolled up wet and dry paper or a small circular file?

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
This is the stuff you need, I use a bottle of the CMT tools stuff which is apparently this http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-blade-and-bit-cleaner-prod839639/ now,
Same stuff Axminster have just branded it and added a spray top. Works a treat at dissolving all the resin from heavily resin caked circular saw/spindle moulder blades etc in my workshop and is definately better for you to handle and use than the Acetone or cellulose thinners etc.

Hope it helps

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Meths, acetone or normal paint stripper wont touch epoxy. It laughs at them.

I have found some epoxy remover on the bay here, I've never used it though so can't comment on its effectiveness.

To save money, just keep hitting it with an abrasive-have you tried rolled up wet and dry paper or a small circular file?

Get a darning needle. Sharpen the end to a chisel point. Pick the epoxy off with this.

I wouldn't try epoxy solvents - there might be epoxy used in your handle; using solvents could easily ruin this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE