Blacksmith Course Does this look any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
ARRRRRRGH! I can never get them to work!!!! :cussing: :censored: :BlueTeamE

But thanks that is exactly the link. Cheers for bailing me out!

:You_Rock_

Pib

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
NCFE courses are usually pretty good. NCFE (Northern Council for Further Education) is a verification body (a bit like City & Guilds or RSA). I used to be an external verifier for them when I was teaching. The standards are quite high and the programme follows a structured learning process that can be measured and assessed. It is also competence based like an NVQ so it is based on what you can actually do competently rather than theorising about a subject. The costs look reasonable as well, for what you'll get out of it. From the look of the sylabus, I'd guess you'll cover everything you'll need to make small stuff like knives and such. I doubt if they'll cover heat treatment in the basic course though.

Eric

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Looks pretty similar to the first couple of months of the day release college bit of a first year apprentice.

A good bit of the time will likely be machine use and safety but it's surprising how much can be crammed into 60 hours.

Should be a worthwhile intro to metalwork.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Well I've put my name down but I need to be interviewed on the phone by the tutor, to make sure I'm keen enough and whether it's the right thing for me.

Paul

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
If you're interested in heat treating and the likes, ask if the sylabus includes making chisels. The principle is just the same as for making knifes. :)

Making a chisel is usualy one of the first forging jobs on the list, I'd be surprised if it wasn't part of the course.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Jeez, apart from coded welding I've done every one of those(or it's equivalent). It reads like the education bit of my CV :rolleyes:.

Reading it again Paul, toolmaking's in the next part.
Getting used to using the tools is what it's all about though. Doesn't really matter what they have you making.
Have fun. :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Just show up on tuesday. ;)

If they don't have their act together that's their problem.
....and what better way is there of showing you're keen than turning up for a course you're not enrolled on. :)

They'll probably call on monday though. Engineering colleges can be pretty flaky, and let's face it, friday afternoons can be pretty flaky too. :rolleyes:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Its fairly typical of Chichester college. I did my HND there and the engineering department was always a bit chaotic. Some of the lecturers really know their stuff though.

I am tempted by the course myself.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Go on Wayne do it, you know you wanna :D

Seriously, from the feedback I've had here and on BB it would seem a good course, time permitting.

Pib

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hi

Just to let you know that I've spoken to the Tutor today, after calling for the third time :banghead: , and I've got on to the course. Well chuffed and very excited.

Enrollment tomorrow night.

Pib

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
pibbleb said:
Hi

Just to let you know that I've spoken to the Tutor today, after calling for the third time :banghead: , and I've got on to the course. Well chuffed and very excited.

Enrollment tomorrow night.

Pib
Good luck with it mate..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE