Bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
is there a simple way to sleep of the groud in a bivi will the orande bivies support (man and a half :eek: ) for a night

have ye pics or other sugestions for the night

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
There are 2 main ways of setting up a bivi.
(i assume you mean a basha, Tarp, or poncho)
the standard most do is a simple 45 degree Lean-to like this:
wallpitch.jpg

it gives good general protection as long as you've got the wind going the right way!
another poular design is the tent:
Photo_for_OR.jpg

it gives better protection but less space
when you get good you can try other designs like this mixed design, lean-to and roof!
Commissary.jpg

how about this, i've done simular when only one tree is available!:
image015.jpg

or this minimal space but good protection if facing down wind!
image011.jpg

best thing to do is get out there and try it!

what i do is i have cords(6ft-ish) known as "Paracord" permanently attatched to each corner and a spare longer cord (not attached) to use where needed.
i have in the past used bungees which is easier for quick erection, but heavier and potential for injury(flying hooks!)

in the forces some used sisal(natrual string) so if the camp was disturbed rather than untiying knots you'd just cut all the strings and run! i personally thing string is rubbish for tarps due to it's poor strength!(i have had it break on me!)

the other thing you'll need is something to peg it down, in the woods you'll be able to make simple tent pegs, you can take pegs with you (I do! ;) ), or even a handfull of 6" nails whist you practice in the garden!

best option get in your garden, or a local bit of woodland and try all the methods you can think of try them out(lie down in it) and see what you like best! :D

the rest is up to your imagination! :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
oh... i just read it again....
is there a simple way to sleep of the groud in a bivi

to sleep of...(off?) the ground in a bivi?
will the orande bivies support (man and a half ) for a night
Do you mean a survival bag like this
bcb-printedsurvivalbag.jpg

if you mean setting one up as a some sort of hammock...well i have seen them used as emergency stretchers so they might work for a short time, but i'd be very careful using it all night! :eek:

you'll have to explane yourself a little more. :confused:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
T l

how about this, i've done simular when [U]only one tree is available!:[/U]
[IMG]http://www.hufsoft.com/bsa51/images/image015.jpg

Nice pics. I like the "one tree" design.
As to the original question, it's Greek to me. Probably some sort of secret code.

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
yes using the survival bivi bags as a sort of hammock where i would intend sleepin has fairly rough ground and was lookin to be able to try something diff with the stuff i would have to hand

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE