Birch tapper or wot?

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I have acquired this interesting tool today. I am not sure if it's a birch tapping tool or a general wood boring tool.

100_0006.jpg

It has the name Wharpees & sons and the measurement 3/4.

anyone know anything of this tool or the maker.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have acquired this interesting tool today. I am not sure if it's a birch tapping tool or a general wood boring tool.

It has the name Wharpees & sons and the measurement 3/4.

anyone know anything of this tool or the maker.
Never heard of the maker, but it looks like an end grain auger bit.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
My grandfather had one almost identical to that back in the 60s, and it was for dowelling timber joints, he used to repair barns in his spare time for his beer tokens.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
it's one of the early Auger bits.. the design moved on to have no handle..
auger2.jpg

this was also a tryal step but it didn't catch on too well..
auger1.bmp

it then moved to the Auger and Hand Brace
brace.jpg

and then to the Fast cutter and Electric Drill.. all the time to reduce space in the toolbox and increase Speed for the job.. they are good tools though.. will hold an edge for a while as back then the tools were made to last.. not like now where tools are made to be replaced.. I've never seen one in such good condition before though..

This is a Whiskey Beer BARREL AUGER DRILL...
whiskey.jpg

I've had a look through my old college notes for "Wharpees & sons" but can't find any info on them sorry.. and Google wasn't much help either..

to sharpen it all you need is a file, just be careful not to file the thread.. that's the important bit as it pulls the cutting edge into the timber..

Once sharp (can't tell if it is or not from the picture) you will be able to tap trees with it.. but do you really need to drill a hole in a tree for the sap?? when I have done it in the past all I done was cut the Bark with my knife and pushed a stick in to alow the sap to run into my pot.. less damage to the tree and alot faster IMHO...

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Its a Framers Auger, although they are/were used by boat builders and any one else who needs to drill long holes into large section timber.
You can sometimes find them with just an eye rather then the T handle, this makes it easier to carry several different sizes.

Does it have small blades on the outside of the twist? (I can't see if it has) that type are better for cutting across the grain

If you sharpen it you should use a triangle section file and use it to continue the screw thread down the shaft (find a woodworking book that covers twist bits that go in a Brace, they should have the technique explained....probably best to go for an older book)

3/4 is probably the hole size, my dad has a 1 inch one, even now when it hasn't been sharpened for 10 years (just sat in the shed) it'll chew through 2 inches of seasoned beechwood no sweat

R Doull, I wrote all this before your pictures loaded......BTW mate, your second pic looks like a corkscrew my nan had

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
not a problem ForgeCorvus.. I've seen all sorts of tools used in all sorts of mannors.. seen an old Gardener use an antique wood plane to remove the thorns from Roses, Drill holes into the lawn with an Auger bit (first picture) for drainage.. if the tool does the job.. then hey,.. use it.. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE