B

bushyboo

Was out for a walk today and found these its the biggest ive seen
I put my mora in for scale
STA70717-1.jpg

birchpolypore-1.jpg

B

bushyboo

they where about waist height , i didnt collect any as i dont need them so i thought it would be better to leave them alone at the moment although i did think it would make a nice big strop

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
bushyboo said:
they where about waist height , i didnt collect any as i dont need them so i thought it would be better to leave them alone at the moment although i did think it would make a nice big strop
Hi bushyboo how good is the birch bracket as a strop :dunno:

B

bushyboo

Hi Thomas

thomasturnbull said:
Hi bushyboo how good is the birch bracket as a strop :dunno:

Dunno :eek: im going back up there on sunday so will get it then
not to sure how to make a strop out of it yet so am going to do some research (or ask they lovely helpfull members on here :rolleyes: ) then il put up a post and let you know

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Bushyboo-
to make a strop just collect your birch polypore and saw it in half length ways, i.e. left to right on your photos, so you have two thinner full size pieces. Ideally you want to cut through the middle ish, the main thing is to avoid the spore tubes on the underside.
Using a hack saw (something with fine teeth) you can cut through it, or a bandsaw does a good job! Then dry it flat and it will become quite hard with a leather like surface. You may find it warps a little as it dries, however using a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface can help to flatten it off.
and there you have it...

B

bushyboo

thanks a lot billycan
will give it a try and let you know how i get on

ady05 i saw the one when he makes a plaster but cant remember seeing him make the strop just talked about it

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
You can then glue several slices onto a small wood board and keep one end as a handle to use as a proper strop board. If the surfaces are not all flat use the sandpaper again, then you can strop the knife easily...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
you can cut through it, or a bandsaw does a good job! Then dry it flat and it will become quite hard with a leather like surface.
There is a good tip here.... always cut your razor strop to its rough shape before drying.... especially if you are making it out in the field with only your knife..... trying to cut that stuff to shape with my mora after it was dry was an absolute nightmare...its tough stuff...... I've learned my lesson ;)

:D
Ed

B

bushyboo

thomasturnbull said:
I have just made the strop and is very good cheers Billycan:beerchug:

Hi Thomas
how thin did you cut it ? and did you glue it on a board, would love to see a photo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE