Birch Bark Sugar Box

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Doesnt have to be sugar but twas a tad small for the flint and steel :eek:

100_2602.jpg

100_2622.jpg

100_2624.jpg

Addo :)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Very nice - just wish I could find some suitable bark. Everything I find is paper thin :(

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I have the same problem - I would love to have a go at making some bark containers (I've practiced with cereal packets - yes, I am that desperate!)

I have seen US sites that sell fairly large sheets but its prohibitve in postage to get.

Any ideas?

ATB
Dave

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If your bark is thin, like mine was after cleaning up, just use more.

This one is double skined, but three would be better, and hot wax coated inside might be worth trying if it dosent alter the bark in a funney way. I might give that a go with this prototype so theres no drama if it goes pear shaped.

forestwalker

I have the same problem - I would love to have a go at making some bark containers (I've practiced with cereal packets - yes, I am that desperate!)

I have seen US sites that sell fairly large sheets but its prohibitve in postage to get.

Any ideas?

I've seen ads in Swedish craft magazines for birch bark (from Russia). Or try to talk to local tree suregons or logging operations and explain your needs. You might be allowed to come in before a logging operation and stríp all you want to, and a tree suregon might well have to take down a birch in someones garden, and as long as you are not in the way (take some of the fresh birch and made a stool and a bowl or two).

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
lovely little item, reminds me of the steam bent shaker boxes Could you show a picture of the locking notch you used, or a diagram?
Another thought, I was recently getting some willow (cricket bat willow) to make kuksas and ladle's. A huge piece of cllean smooth bark came away in one piece. Is it only birch bark that is any good to make boxes etc, or can you use other sorts too?

forestwalker

I think willow bark will become a bit too stiff to work well. I've made the so called "berry baskets" from willow, and after a while they become stiff and brittle.

The basic pattern for this kind of birch bark containers I was taught is that the end of the tab is "arrow-shaped", and that the inner layer then covers the "joinery". The bottom fits inside, and small wooden pegs lock it in place

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I think willow bark will become a bit too stiff to work well. I've made the so called "berry baskets" from willow, and after a while they become stiff and brittle.

The basic pattern for this kind of birch bark containers I was taught is that the end of the tab is "arrow-shaped", and that the inner layer then covers the "joinery". The bottom fits inside, and small wooden pegs lock it in place

Do you know any links to this type of thing. Its very intriguing

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Glue for bark. If "o naturel" and in the mood, pine resin, beeswax and ground charcoal.
If lazy PVA, or stronger.

The leather is pushed through a hole a little bigger than the size of the two ends, then a wooden peg is pushed between the two peices on the underside of the lid, forcing them apart. Then trim off. Glue can be inculded within the joint to make sure it holds.

The only link I can give is buy or borrow Ray Mears bushcraft survival series 2 on DVD, as the extras on there dont appear available elseware, but I may be wrong. These boxes are very simple rearly, once you have made the formers, and cut out.

I'll try and do a tutorial on the match box, I did which is the same principle for this small box in the future but Im short on time for a while, so bare with me :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
BTW other barks can be used, just different lifespans and difficulies in making. Im no expert just seen ash and the like used. Going to keep tying different types making use of some of the material from tree felling work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE