Birch bark questions

Sep 17, 2008
Falmouth uk
I have recently returned from a trip around Norway and Sweden in which I got a lot of time to practice my bushcraft skills. I discovered the wonders of birchbark along the way.
I am a student studying 3d design for sustainability
We are encouraged to choose diverse materials and consider their environmental impact.

For my current project I have chosen to study birchbark and its traditional uses and possible application in a more modern environment.
I thought people on here may know a little bit about the material-

1. Is the only difference between a birch and a silver birch the colour? do the bark from each tree have similar properties?

2. For small projects can bark be harvested from a birch/silver birch without damaging the tree?

3.How old should the tree grow before the bark is harvested?

4.Which regions of the world grow trees with the best bark?

5.Should the bark be treated before use?

6.Is birch bark currently used in a contemporary way?

If anyone knows of any good resources to get good information about birchbark then please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
I do know that the colder it is, the thicker the bark is, as for harvesting many seem to harvest from trees already felled / dead trees. The only treatment is to clean the bark in most cases. I will have a look for a resource a post my findings :) I see birch all the time, but other than fire lighting i never use it, so i guess i should start a project myself!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
There's a book on birch and its uses on amazon. Probably worth checking out - it's on my list but I can't afford it yet (along with the other 50 on the list!)

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
If you search the threads I have started on this forum, you will see I work a lot with birch bark.

I highly recommend a book titled "Celebrating Birch". You will find birch bark has a long history of being a useful and spiritual material.

I like to work with bark from live trees, it's almost like leather. The best comes from Siberia or any cold climate. In Siberia the bark is removed prior to logging and comes in very large sheets.

Bark from dead trees is more brittle to work with, but more readily available.

Bark after it is removed from the tree, will curl in the opposite direction. That is why most containers made of birch bark have the brown inter bark on the outside.

If you want white bark on the outside you must soak the bark in warm water. Do not boil, it will come apart.

Best wishes on your project, I think you are going to enjoy working with birch bark.

Harmony

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
sorry to hi-jack a moment..

can Birch bark be havested in the UK? if not then where can I get some from? I'd like to try a few things with it..

thanks.. hi-jack over..

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Another vote for "Celebrating Birch, The Lore, Art, and craft of an ancient tree" it have a lot of information and clear projects. Why don't you check it out in the local library? If they haven't got it I am sure they can get it on an inter library loan.

That said I have not been in one for 10+ years as I don't like having to give them back :( I really must join one again or there won't be any libraries left.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE