Birch bark knife handle

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wanted to know how to add birch bark inlay to western red cedar carvings if/when I wanted to.
Titebond, Gorilla, epoxy, JB Quikweld and whatever the carpenter's wood glue there was on my shelf.

Tried them all. Waited 48 hrs and then tried to pick the bark off with my fingernail.
a) the bark is really soft. Too waxy for epoxy to stick? Not sure.
b) the carpenter's glue was better than anything else.
Especially really narrow/thin places.

What will you do with the BB? stacked rings or wrapping?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just remember that the birch bark that you will find in Britain and Europe is nowhere nearly as easily worked as the birch bark from Canada.
If the tree is already down for fire wood/lumber, OK. I can't justify stripping a living tree. Some people can, not me.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I thought I do one blade stacked compressed and glued.
I also bought a Lammi 85 Convex, that one I thought I first do a cylindrical wood handle (glued) to even out the tang, then wrap it in several layers with the bark.

I will try to do a full Reindeer antler knife with one of the Yakutian blades, with thin stacked bark in some areas as a esthetic touch.

The rest in different woods, both what I can in in Norway and locally.

I have my eyes on a burl on a SeaGrape tree... and a couple of roots on the same tree........

A birch bark handle is lovely!

I did one a while back and did the oven glue method - I was really impressed with how well the layers stuck!
http://www.stewartjlight-knives.com/2014/06/a-stacked-birch-bark-knife.html

I'm looking forward to the time I can make one for me to use. :D

If I'm honest, I'm dubious as to how well your cylinder wrapped one will work, though the proof is in the pudding! I would be interested to see the result even if it's unsuccessfu.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE